An exciting opportunity to join the team at AESSEAL New York Stadium has arisen...
Job Title: Lead Club Doctor
Department: Performance Science & Medicine
Location: Rotherham - Training Ground / Stadium
Reports to: Performance& Medicine Manager
Direct Reports: Head of Performance & Medicine
Hours of Work: As required to cover First Team schedules that include match fixtures and training days. There is an expectation with this position to work evenings and weekends.
Summary and Main Purpose
The Club Doctor will be a qualified medical practitioner registered with the GMC and will be responsible for assisting the clubs Head of Medicine in the development, organisation, co-ordination and implementation of all medical related matters to First Team players. This post is expected to optimise the player availability and enhance the medical support of Rotherham United First Team players through the provision of footballs best scientific and medical practice. There is an expectation for the Club Doctor to ensure the Academy system has appropriate medical support and operates as required by the EPPP designated category status. The Club Doctor is expected to have excellent leadership qualities to drive professional standards and must be meticulous in recording all medical related interactions.
First Team Manager and Coaching Staff
Head of Performance & Medicine
First Team Physiotherapist
Strength & Conditioning Coaches
University Placement Students
Surgeons / Specialists
Key Tasks / Accountabilities:
1. Contribute towards the assessment/screening of all medical and musculoskeletal matters with the clubs Head of Performance & Medicine.
2. Be responsible for ordering, prescribing, distributing, carrying and keeping medications, and when not present, ensuring the Head of Performance & Medicine can only act on your behalf with prior approval on any of the above.
3. Assist the Head of Performance & Medicine within aspects of ‘Whereabouts’, drug and doping player education and information.
4. Be responsible for all player interactions with issued medications being recorded and detailed on the clubs electronical medical records system as well as on the MedsonTrak database.
5. Maintain up to date knowledge of WADA guidelines and communicate with club medical team on all matters relating to its regulations.
6. Contribute towards the EAP for the stadium, training ground and Academy training ground.
7. Be contactable via telephone and provide a remote service to all Academy players as and when necessary.
8. Be present at every Rotherham United fixture as dictated by the leagues regulations.
9. Work closely alongside the Head of Performance & Medicine in the management of all Cardiac and Concussion screening.
10. Lead on policies surrounding medical treatment, medications and immunisations to all playing staff.
11. Maintain upbeat, positive and flexible within the demanding world of professional football.
12. Deliver outstanding player management and communication skills, being an excellent confidante to all patients.
13. Operate with the upmost integrity and ensure a high standard of ethics at all times.
14. Guarantee all medical administrative records are stored appropriately and safely via the use of the clubs electronical medical records system.
15. To create successful and professional relationships with staff whilst maintaining professional distance from playing staff.
16. To assist in the implementation of the department injury prevention protocols through assessment, analysis, delivery and auditing of collected data.
17. To maintain player information confidentiality within the scope of practice at all times.
18. To act, at all times, in a manner appropriate to a representative of Rotherham United FC.
MBChB / MRCGP
PG Diploma / MSc Sports Medicine
GMC and SEMPRIS registration
Minimum of 3 years experience in professional sport
Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team within a Sports Medicine environment
An ongoing record of relevant CPD over the past 12 months and experience in research/presenting/publications in Sports Medicine
Excellent understanding of Human Anatomy and Biomechanics
Excellent understanding of Physical Screening and Rehabilitation Programming in a Professional Sport
An understanding of Training Load Monitoring and Periodisation
Excellent understanding of Human Physiology and principles of Athletic Performance in Professional Sport
Excellent knowledge of Injury Prevention and Recovery Strategies
Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
Set and maintain high standards of work performance and deliver quality consistently and effectively
Establish and maintain relationships with external institutions
Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to manage competing demands and deadlines whilst functioning in a fast moving environment
Holds a full current and clean up to date driving licence
Proactive and engaging style with a winning attitude and can-do approach
Flexible approach and attitude to working hours
Have an altruistic demeanour cognisant of others emotions
Excellent written and verbal communication skills that are clear, engaging and responsive to convey complex information to individuals
Excellent Computer skills with up to date competency in Mac, Windows and Cloud Data Management.
Extensive experience of using Performance Management Applications both in a Medical and Performance context
Excellent knowledge and understanding of Medical and Sport Science terminology
Musculoskeletal Medicine Diploma (MSOMM)
Playing experience to a high level in any sport
Competency in operating Sport Science specific software programmes such as GPS, Force Plates, Dartfish etc
Please complete the application form that can be found on the Club website https://www.themillers.co.uk/club/club-policies/ and return as requested as an upload to Indeed along with your CV and covering letter stating their suitability for the role.
Unfortunately, your application may not be processed without a completed application form being returned to the Club.
Rotherham United takes safeguarding very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all children and adults at risk are safeguarded at all times when engaging in Club activities or services. The club has numerous safeguarding policies and best practice guidelines to support this and expects all employees to adopt such policies and practices at all times.
The club adheres to strict guidelines, policies and procedures when recruiting staff who work with children and/or adults at risk and is committed to ensuring staff receive appropriate safeguarding training suitable to their role/s. Successful applicants are expected to share the club’s approach to safeguarding at all times.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy, with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Health and Safety Legislation.
Rotherham United is an equal opportunities employer and a signatory to the new FA Football Leadership Diversity Code and all applicants for employment will be given equal opportunities irrespective of sex, age, race, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic or national origin.
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within Rotherham United Football Club, commensurate with the post without changing the character of the post. This post requires a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) enhanced Criminal Records Check (CRC) check with a barred list check. The applicant must be prepared to submit a CRC application if they do not hold and FA CRC Certificate. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Information on all convictions including spent convictions must be declared, in line with the new Government Filtering System.
If you wish to see our Candidate Privacy Notice, please visit:
Employment is subject to the provision of proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Job Type: Part-time
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Professional Sport: 3 years (required)
- GMC registration (required)
- MBChB / MRCGP (required)
- SEMPRIS registration (preferred)
- PG Diploma / MSc Sports Medicine (preferred)