Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Reserves 1 v 0 Grimsby

22 February 2022

Club News

REPORT | Reserves 1 v 0 Grimsby

22 February 2022

Sponsored by

Rotherham United Reserves won their second successive Central League Cup fixture, after edging out Grimsby Town 1-0 at a windswept Graham Solley Sports Development Centre.

With the first team in action against Morecambe at AESSEAL New York Stadium later on Tuesday, the Millers named a youthful side to take on the Mariners.

After a goalless first half, Rotherham opened the scoring eight minutes after the restart through substitute Adam Clark, with his goal proving to be the decisive contribution.

Grimsby started brightly and were presented with an opportunity in the fourth minute when Nathon Exton tripped Edwin Essel on the edge of the box.

Harvey Tomlinson planted the ball down for the free kick and forced a sharp save from Chapman, before Jenkinson scampered across to deny Adlard a tap-in from the follow-up.

Conditions were difficult for both sides in a scrappy South Yorkshire affair, but a moment of quality almost unlocked the Mariners defence, when Holvey received possession and cut in from the left flank, bending an effort just over on 23 minutes.

Four minutes later and it was the away side’s turn to attack, when Wright took the ball down well before teeing up Adlard, who sliced an effort wide from 20 yards.

Champion then stood the ball up brilliantly for his wing-partner Holvey, who looked set to connect with a sweet volley inside the penalty box, before being denied by some good defensive play from Bramwell.

HALF TIME | Reserves 0 v 0 Grimsby

The Reserves started the second half well and were almost ahead when Hatton played a delicate through ball over the top for Clark to race onto. The forward thought he was going through one-on-one with Battersby in the Grimsby goal, but was flagged offside by the assistant.

Clark wouldn’t have to wait too long to get a scoring chance though and when it did come along, he took it brilliantly.

Joel Holvey cut the ball across after good work on the left side and there was Clark to tap home after getting across his marker to give the Millers the advantage.

The away side were presented with another shooting chance following a foul just outside the box and Bramwell stepped up to fire the resulting free kick over.

The Mariners could have levelled with 13 minutes to go when Boyd made headway down the left flank before threading the ball through to Adlard, who could only fire straight at Chapman from six yards.  

Town continued to press and were presented with another striking opportunity from a set piece in injury time. Tomlinson had tested Chapman in the first half with a long range effort and did so again here, forcing the keeper into another stunning stop to preserve the lead.

The Millers were made to defend a series of corners in the dying embers of the contest, but stood firm to see the game out.

FULL TIME | Reserves 1 v 0 Grimsby

RESERVES | Chapman; Greenhouse, Booth, Exton, Jenkinson; Champion (Hatton 45’), Warne, Douglas, Holvey; Durose; McGuckin (Clark 37’).

UNUSED | Ford, Day, Bond.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account