Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 v 2 Academy (FA Youth Cup)

16 November 2021

Club News

REPORT | Doncaster Rovers 1 v 2 Academy (FA Youth Cup)

16 November 2021

Sponsored by

Rotherham United Under 18s progressed to the Third Round of the FA Youth Cup with a dramatic victory over Doncaster Rovers U18s at Keepmoat Stadium.

The Millers looked set for defeat through Owen Scattergood’s first half strike and could have been further behind were it not for a stunning penalty save from Alfie Burnett with five minutes to go. 

That moment would prove decisive as the Millers were rewarded for their late pressure when Curtis Durose struck with virtually the last kick of the game to force an extra 30 minutes. 

The game was turned on it’s head five minutes into extra time, when Durose turned provider, delivering a wicked cross for Ciaran McGuckin to score with a diving header and set-up a Third Round trip to West Bromwich Albion.

Rovers had the first chance within a minute of kick off after Cole threaded the ball through to Goodman, who rounded the keeper before firing an effort into the side netting from a tight angle.

The Millers threatened five minutes later when Greenhouse speared in a long throw towards the six yard box which Douglas looked to turn home, forcing a save from Chadwick with a deft header.

On the 10 minute mark, Warne looked to play Champion through on goal with a slide-rule pass into the area. His first touch was heavy before seeing the ball intercepted by Whiting.

Rovers went straight down the other end and almost took the lead through Cole, who showed great feet in the box after receiving a pass from Scattergood. He wriggled away from trouble before looking to slot the ball home, seeing his effort kiss the post before bouncing out.

With 17 minutes on the clock, Durose delivered a free kick into a fantastic area, which Carroll rose highest to direct over the bear.

Rotherham’s best moment of the half game on the half hour mark, when Warne found McGuckin with an incisive pass which the striker took down wonderfully before drilling a low cross towards Hatton. The forward looked certain to turn the ball home before a timely intervention from Wilds to deny him.

With 10 minutes to go before the break, McGuckin displayed the confidence of a player in good form when he received possession just inside the Rovers half before driving forward and firing narrowly wide of the near post from 25 yards.

The Millers almost took the lead on the stroke of half time when Douglas stabbed Durose’s low corner towards goal, forcing a last-ditch goal line clearance from Whiting to turn the effort away from danger.

The home side took the lead in first half injury time as Whiting won back possession and threaded the ball through to Scattergood, who showed quick feet to manoeuvre away from Booth before poking the ball low under the outstretched arm of Burnett.

HALF TIME | Doncaster Rovers U18 1 v 0 Academy

The first chance of note fell to the home side on 59 minutes, when Kuleya surged forward before cutting the ball back for Goodman, but he was denied by a superb sliding challenge by Greenhouse.

Burnett was then called into action to make a fine save to deny Kuleya after Goodman squared the ball to him from the left.

The Millers pushed hard for a way back into the game, forcing a succession of corners midway through the half. Rovers were always a threat on the counter and forced an effort on 69 minutes, when Carroll charged down Cole’s powerful low strike from 15 yards.

With just under 20 minutes left, Greenhouse’s long throw was headed clear only as far as Warne, who set himself before firing just wide from the edge of the area.

On 76 minutes, Billy Carroll’s powerful header was held by Chadwick, after Durose and Warne worked a clever short corner.

The home side were presented with a big chance to wrap the game up in the final 10 minutes, when Goodman was tripped in the area by Bond.

The striker dusted himself down to take the spot kick, but saw his effort saved superbly by Burnett, who guessed right and tipped the ball wide of the right post.

And that miss would prove costly, as the Millers snatched an equaliser right at the death. Curtis Durose received possession before cutting inside and firing a low effort through bodies, which kissed the post before trickling past Chadwick and in.

FULL TIME | Doncaster Rovers 1 v 1 Academy

The momentum shifted Rotherham’s way and they found themselves ahead five minutes into extra time.

Again, Durose was the architect, picking up possession in his own half and driving towards the byline, before delivering a delicious cross for McGuckin to score with a diving header.

The home side spurned a great opportunity to equalise five minutes later. The ball broke to Goodman inside the area, but the striker was unfortunate to slip at the vital moment, before Cole blazed the follow-up over the bar.

Rovers threw everything at the youngsters in the dying embers of the contest, but they stood firm, to book a place in the Third Round.

DONCASTER ROVERS | Chadwick; Fletcher (Flint 60’), Faulkner, Wilds, Whiting; Scattergood (Wolny 84’), Hollings, Raper (Henson 90’), Kuleya (Petch 66’); Goodman, Cole.

SUBS | Dram, Wood, Parkinson.

ACADEMY | Burnett; Greenhouse, Carroll, Booth, Exton; Champion (Day 107’), Douglas (Bond 63’), Durose, Hatton (Clark 79’); Warne (Jenkinson 116’), McGuckin.

SUBS | Ford, Shepherd, Grove.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account