An exciting opportunity to join our team here at Rotherham United...
Job Title: Sports Scientist Department: Performance Science & Medicine
Location: Training Ground / Stadium
Reports to: Performance Manager
Direct Reports: Manager, Coaching Staff, Physiotherapists & Sports Scientists
Salary: £18k pa, Bonus Scheme and Company Pension Scheme.
Hours of Work: As required to cover First Team schedules that include match fixtures and training days. There is an expectation with this position to work evenings and weekends.
Contract Length: Permanent
Summary and Main Purpose
To assist the clubs Sports Science Department in the development, organisation, co-ordination
and implementation of all Sports Science related matters to First Team players. This post is aimed at graduate/junior applicants with ongoing support given to help develop the successful candidate in their professional journey. The purpose of the Sport Scientist is to optimise availability and enhance the athletic development of Rotherham United First Team players through the provision of footballs best sports science and strength & conditioning support. The Sports Scientist is also expected to add value to the department staff with ongoing education programmes and also developing intra-club research studies. The Sports Scientist should also establish and maintain an effective network outside the club including university links for furthering research.
First Team Manager and Coaching Staff
Head of Medical Services
First Team Physiotherapist
Sports Rehabilitators / S&C coaches
Key Tasks / Accountabilities:
- To program the service and delivery of all Sports Science / Strength & Conditioning matters relating to First Team players. It is expected that this delivery is through high professional standards utilising up to date research and evidence-based practice within the Sports Science and Medical Department.
- To assist in the development of evidence-based protocols and research for all areas of Sports Science and Strength & Conditioning throughout the club. There is an expectation to use all available resources including the latest research, collaborating with a successful network of external clinical specialists and university links.
- To lead and contribute fully within the Sports Science and Medical CPD programme of the department, through both participation and delivery of material.
- To oversee and drive the interdisciplinary approach of sport science working alongside the medical department, of which that includes special reference to injury rehabilitation.
- Be cognisant of all other staff roles and responsibilities within the department and how you interact with them in the multidisciplinary team.
- To assist in the maintenance and security of player load management records through performance management applications and other platforms such as the Football Association Injury & Illness Surveillance Study.
- To program the physical and physiological screening/testing and management of First Team players utilising various technologies such as GPS in effectively periodising the season.
- To be part of the Anthropometry and nutritional provision having effective communication with the clubs chef and Nutritionist whilst also incorporating safe supplementation to all First Team Players.
- To design, implement and ensure the effective programming of recovery protocols to all First Team players in the regeneration phase between fixtures.
- To integrate an intra-institutionalised research initiative from Rotherham United Football Club data collected in all matters of Sports Science to utilise in adapting practice with a possibility of professional publications.
- To observe, monitor and react to the ever-evolving world of Sports Science / Strength & Conditioning, keeping up to date with all current research developments and changes in professional regulations.
- To ensure the latest clinical, scientific and technical innovations to practice are incorporated into maintaining the highest level of support within the Sport Science Department provision.
- To create successful and professional relationships with staff whilst maintaining professional distance from playing staff at all times.
- To lead in the implementation of the department injury prevention protocols through assessment, analysis, delivery and auditing of collected data.
- To maintain player information confidentiality within the scope of practice at all times.
- To act, at all times, in a manner appropriate to a representative of Rotherham United FC.
BSc (Hons) Sports Science or related
A certain level of experience in full-time professional sport
Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team within a Sports Medicine environment
Excellent understanding of human anatomy and biomechanics
Excellent understanding of dose response loading and supercompensation with reference to sporting performance
Excellency in the understanding of physical screening and S&C programming
Excellent understanding of quantifying training and periodisation in team sport
Excellent understanding of human physiology and principles of athletic performance
Excellent knowledge of injury prevention and recovery strategies
Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
Ability to lead pitch and gym based, group and individual conditioning
Skills to understand the multidisciplinary needs of other members of the department
Set and maintain high standards of work performance and deliver quality consistently and
Establish and maintain relationships with external institutions
Exceptional organization skills with the ability to manage competing demands and deadlines to be able to work in a fast moving environment
Holds a full current up to date driving licence
Proactive and engaging style with a winning attitude and positive can-do approach
Flexible approach and attitude to working hours
Excellent competency in operating Sport Science specific software programmes in particular Catapult, Benchmark54, Hawkin Dynamics
Excellent written and verbal communication skills that are clear, engaging and responsive to convey complex information to individuals
Excellent skills within Microsoft Office, Power BI and Excel
Excellent knowledge and understanding of medical and sport science terminology
Postgraduate Qualification in Sports Science or related field
UKSCA/NSCA Accreditation XBASES Accreditation
Valid First Aid Certificate / Basic First Aid for Sport course
Playing experience to a reasonable level in any sport
Please complete the application form that can be found on the Club website https://www.themillers.co.uk/club/club-policies/ and return as requested as an upload to Indeed along with your CV and covering letter stating your suitability for the role.
Unfortunately, your application may not be processed without a completed application form being returned to the Club
Rotherham United takes safeguarding very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all children and adults at risk are safeguarded at all times when engaging in Club activities or services. The club has numerous safeguarding policies and best practice guidelines to support this and expects all employees to adopt such policies and practices at all times.
The club adheres to strict guidelines, policies and procedures when recruiting staff who work with children and/or adults at risk and is committed to ensuring staff receive appropriate safeguarding training suitable to their role/s. Successful applicants are expected to share the club’s approach to safeguarding at all times.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy, with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Health and Safety Legislation.
Rotherham United is an equal opportunities employer and a signatory to the new FA Football Leadership Diversity Code and all applicants for employment will be given equal opportunities irrespective of sex, age, race, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic or national origin.
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within Rotherham United Football Club, commensurate with the post without changing the character of the post. This post requires a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) enhanced Criminal Records Check (CRC) check with a barred list check. The applicant must be prepared to submit a CRC application if they do not hold and FA CRC Certificate. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Information on all convictions including spent convictions must be declared, in line with the new Government Filtering System.
If you wish to see our Candidate Privacy Notice, please visit:
Employment is subject to the provision of proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Follow Covid protocols on site and wear a mask