Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

ACADEMY | October round-up

1 November 2020

Club News

ACADEMY | October round-up

1 November 2020

Sponsored by

Rotherham United Academy booked their place in the final of the 2019/20 Youth Alliance Cup with victory over Fleetwood Town at the beginning of October.

A first half goal from Jerome Greaves set the Millers on their way in the North West before Ciaran McGuckin wrapped the tie up in stoppage time as Richard Hairyes’ side turned in a dominant second half performance, in an action-packed fixture which saw three players red carded.

The Academy youngsters have now booked a date against AFC Wimbledon in the showpiece final of the 2019/20 Youth Alliance Cup which will be played on a date to be confirmed between both clubs.

The Millers’ youngsters had been scheduled to play the Cod Army before the COVID-19 outbreak but the early curtailment of their last campaign saw this fixture put on hold until football’s safe restart. The eagerly-anticipated clash with Fleetwood Town certainly lived up to its billing though as the two sides locked horns on a wet afternoon in the North West with neither side giving much away in the early exchanges.

Following on from their victory over the Cod Army, the Millers had more good news, as Jerome Greaves put pen-to-paper on his first ever professional contract with the football club.

The striker has been a shining-light for the Academy during his time in South Yorkshire and has been rewarded for his fine displays with a two-year professional deal.

Greaves joins Jake Hull and Jacob Gratton in being handed senior deals with the Millers, as the three youngsters look to emulate the success of the likes of Ben Wiles, Joshua Kayode and Jake Cooper in making the step-up to first team level in recent years.

After booking their place in the final of last season’s competition, the Millers made a winning start to their Youth Alliance Cup this term, with a 2-1 success at Port Vale.

Greaves celebrated being the latest Academy star to have signed professional terms with the Millers, continuing his hot streak in front of goal by finding the net after 18 minutes.

The points were secured on the hour mark courtesy of a strike from midfielder Nathan Watson, to seal a fourth successive victory in all competitions for the young guns.

Unfortunately this streak was broken at the hands of the early pace-setters Lincoln City, as the Millers we dealt a 4-0 defeat on their travels by the Imps.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account