Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Reserves 1 v 0 Grimsby

4 October 2017

Rotherham United Reserves maintained their 100% start to the new campaign after a 1-0 success over Grimsby Town in the Central League.

An inexperienced Rotherham side edged a close encounter at Roundwood thanks to sub Joshua Kayode’s second-half strike which brought a third consecutive win of the new campaign.

Following last night’s hosting of Chesterfield in the Checkatrade Trophy, there was an opening for first and second year scholars to impress for the second string as the Millers welcomed the Mariners to their training base.

Only Mason Warren and Darnelle Bailey-King had tasted first team action, with both currently out on loan, whilst ‘keeper Laurence Bilboe was the other senior inclusion between the sticks.

Grimsby made the early running and Ty Rhys Paul-Jones went close with a low shot early on, before Trialist hit the woodwork with a header from six yards out.

On 23 minutes Kuda Muskwe went close for the Millers after a pin-point cross from Deegan Atherton, but his header was just off target.

Just past the half hour mark Bilboe was called into action to make a save from Paul-Jones after the Grimsby striker was sent through one-on-one following a slip by Aaron Ibe.

With 10 minutes remaining before the break Akeel Francis rose at the far post but he planted his header into the side netting.

After the break Muskwe was denied after a brilliant save from the Grimsby ‘keeper Corey Briggs, but the Millers weren’t to be denied a minute later when following a goalmouth game of pinball, Kayode eventually slotted the ball home to give the hosts the advantage.

In the final quarter the impressive Bailey-King threatened again but after flying down the left he drilled his shot into the side netting.

Full time
Rotherham 1 v 0 Grimsby

Rotherham: Bilboe; Atherton, Southern-Cooper, Ibe, Warren; Bailey-King, Maguire, Murr, Osborne (Kayode HT), Francis (James 80); Muskwe

Advertisement block