Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Reserves 3 v 2 Chesterfield

14 March 2017

Match Reports

REPORT | Reserves 3 v 2 Chesterfield

14 March 2017

Sponsored by

Millers record victory over Chesterfield...

Rotherham United’s reserve were triumphant in their final home outing of the 2016/17 Central League season, as a last minute winner ensured victory over local rivals Chesterfield.

The Millers emerged victorious courtesy of goals from Chris Dawson, Joshua Kayode and Kuda Muskwe, despite trailing during the game after a Ricky German brace had the Spireites 2-1 up.

The hosts started brightly in their final outing on home soil with Alex Bray using his pace to break to the byline on the right before seeing his cutback thrashed clear of the lurking figure of Muskwe in the box.

Bray continued to look the most dangerous player on the pitch and created two more good opportunities for Garreth Barker’s side through bursts down the wing. The first saw a good cross poked away from Dawson in the area, before an inch-perfect cross to Ben Wiles saw the young midfielder’s volley blocked in the box.

The opener came for the visitors and against the run of play when German found himself with room in the Millers’ box, which allowed him to shape up a finish and beat the onrushing Laurence Bilboe on the angle to make it 1-0.

However, that lead lasted just four minutes and the Millers were level just before the half hour-mark through a slice of good fortune. A patient attack fell at the feet of Dawson, who shaped up to shoot, but his effort took a deflection off Dylan Hand, which saw it loop up and over the goalkeeper to restore parity at Roundwood.

The Millers perhaps should have taken a lead into the half time interval after more work from Bray, who had been a shining light for the hosts in the opening 45 minutes. This time, the former Swansea City winger was denied one-on-one after cutting in, before Muskwe had his goalbound effort from the rebound cleared off the line by a brave block from Hand.

Half time | Reserves 1 v 1 Chesterfield

The game settled immediately after the restart with Mason Warren’s free kick from distance the only real chance of note after the two sides re-emerged.

However, the Spireites reclaimed their advantage just before an hour had elapsed. Curtis Morrison was the architect as he broke down the wing before cutting back to German in front of goal, who made no mistake as he applied a simple finish to make it 2-1.

Barker’s side had enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and chances but were struggling to reap the rewards of their dominance, with Bray continuing to look more dangerous as the game went on.

It was his clever wing play on the left that allowed him to cut inside and tee up Muskwe, who should really have done better with his strike from close range that was easily fielded by Dylan Parkin in the end.

The Bath-born wide man wasn’t rewarded with a goal for his efforts, but his side were on 75 minutes. After Warren swept a Chesterfield corner to halfway, the winger embarked on a rapid attack, which saw him break into the box and have a shot saved, but substitute Kayode had positioned himself well to give him the simplest of tap ins to make it 2-2.

The game looked destined to finish with the honours even but the hosts would go on to win it in stoppage time. It was Muskwe who was the hero, as he picked the ball up in the box on the angle before rocketing home a powerful drive to ensure maximum points for his side in their final game of the season at Roundwood.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account