Skip to main content Skip to site footer

POST MATCH | Defeat hard to take, says Warne

8 April 2017


POST MATCH | Defeat hard to take, says Warne

8 April 2017

Sponsored by

Paul Warne post Wigan...

Rotherham United manager Paul Warne was again left frustrated as the Millers were denied a point in injury time after a 3-2 defeat at the DW Stadium.

Having led twice at relegation-threatened Wigan, the Millers conceded late in controversial circumstances after Nick Powell drilled home a free-kick to win it for the Latics.

The free-kick was given after ‘keeper Lewis Price tussled with Powell after he cleared down-field out of his hands.

Warne, like many in the stadium missed the incident after he followed the ball, and admitted that it was an episiode that was tough to take after his side had again showed more than enough to deserve something from the game.

“I don’t think that anyone has seen anything like it,” Warne told the media after the game.

“It is hard for me to comment on but I think that there was only about 40 seconds left on the clock, and although I wanted to win the game I was happy to take an away draw just to stop the rot.

“Pricey kicked the ball, I know that there was some physical contact before he went to kick it. He kicked it and if I am honest my eyes just followed the ball. I was actually appealing for a free-kick at the other end because Jonson Clarke-Harris had taken a hit.

“It was hugely disappointing because again I thought that the lads gave me everything that they had, but we have come up short. I think at worst we deserved a draw.”

The Millers had taken the lead through Danny Ward before being pegged back by Gabriel Obertan’s leveller.

Warne’s side re-took the lead through Anthony Forde’s long range strike, but Alex Gilbey levelled for the second time after the Millers missed opportunities.

“Our away form this season has been disappointing but today I thought that we were set up right, we came here with a confident setup by playing two up, we had a game plan and it was working quite well,” he added.

“Wardy could have scored early on, but then we got the goal which was a good bit of play. I honestly thought that if we could have gone in 1-0 up at half-time, we would have been pretty comfortable.

“We conceded a counter-attack goal and regrettably we have conceded a few of them. We took the lead again. We were a little fortuitous with the shot, with the ‘keeper and I thought that we would go on and score again.

“The ‘keeper made a great save from Carlton’s (Morris) header, and then Wardy had a really good chance and we also had good patterns of play. They broke and got another goal and what happened in the 97th minute, which is a first, was very frustrating.”

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account