Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rotherham 0 v 0 Gornik Zabrze - Report

15 July 2016

Sponsored by

Rotherham United stayed unbeaten on their tour of Poland after being held to a goalless draw by Gornik Zabrze at Hotel Remes.
The Millers held the upper hand in a game of few chances with Jerry Yates coming closest to breaking the stalemate with a hooked shot in the first half.
Alan Stubbs’ side enjoyed the greater possession for much of the game but couldn’t breakdown a rigid Gornik side who are entering the tail end of their pre-season.
Stubbs gave starts to a number of players who have been nursing knocks, with the likes of Lee Frecklington, Joe Mattock and Danny Ward all included.
Stubbs opted for his strongest side with four trailists starting out on the bench alongside Tom Thorpe, Chris Dawson, Darnelle Bailey-King and Kuda Muskwe.
The Millers often looked dangerous down the right with Yates just beaten to a Danny Ward cross by Gornik ‘keeper Mateusz Kuchta.
Yates again showed his ability to hold the ball up before finding Mattock but his dangerous centre was cleared by the Gornik defence.
Mattock made progress down the left on 14 minutes but his cross to the back post was not met with a clean connection by Ward.
Ward was involved again soon after when his purposeful run had Gornik on the back foot, but after finding Frecklington his low cross didn’t find a team mate.
Gornik threatened on 25 minutes when a short corner routine saw the ball worked to Konrad Nowak but he blasted a shot over.
Soon after, the Millers created the best chance of the game so far. Mattock again broke forward down the left, before his cross was knocked down into the direction of Yates who hooked a shot over on the spin from close range.
Ward teed up Frecklington for a difficult chance just before the half hour, but he scuffed his shot goalwards from 25 yards allowing for an easy save for the ‘keeper.
The Millers came close 10 minutes before the break when Ward cut in from the right and forced a save from Kuchta with a low angled shot.
Before the break Ward fired in a free-kick from 30 yards which was palmed away by the ‘keeper.
Half-time: Rotherham 0 v 0 Gornik Zabrze.

Stubbs made changes at half-time with Tom Thorpe, Chris Dawson, Trialist and Kuda Muskwe replacing Richard Wood, Frecklington, Mattock and Ward.
Anthony Forde made a purposeful break at the start of the second half beating two players before standing up a cross towards Muskwe, but a last ditch touch took the ball away from the sub.
Despite the game being a friendly, Richie Smallwood picked up a yellow card for taking a free-kick too quickly.
The Millers were now starting to play the majority of the game in the Gornik half, but were almost caught when a lightning break down the right resulted in a low cross into Marcin Urynowicz, who scuffed an effort into the hands of Lee Camp.
At the other end the Millers missed an opportunity when Smallwood’s corner was met by Kirk Broadfoot but he guided his effort just wide of the far post.
Despite enjoying the lion’s share of poession the Millers were held at bay by an organised Polish rearguard.
Late on sub Darnelle Bailey-King tested Kuchta with a low shot from a tight angle but the Gornik stopper pushed his effort around the post.
Rotherham: Camp (Trialist 71); Kelly, Wood (Thorpe ht), Broadfoot, Mattock (Trilaist ht), Forde (Trialist 66), Halford (Bailey-King 76), Smallwood, Frecklington (Dawson ht), Yates (Trialist 71), Ward (Muskwe ht).
Gornik: Kuchta; Kopacz, Shevelyukhin, Grendel, Nowak, Cerimagic, Plizga, Matsuszek, Danch, Wolniewicz, Urynowicz.
Subs: Michalski, Kurzawa, Pawlowski, Skrzypczak, Zurkowski.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account