Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves 1 v 1 Burton - Report

9 March 2015

The Millers in action in the Final Third Development league...

Rotherham United Reserves were held to a 1-1 draw against Burton Albion in the Final Third Development League at St. George's Park.

The Millers took the lead through Jordan Bowery but Marcus Harness levelled for the home side shortly after in blustery conditions at England's training headquarters.

The first chance of the game fell to the Millers when Adam Hammill's neat flick on the right allowed Jonson Clarke-Harris a run at goal before he lashed an effort over from just inside the area. 

Burton got their first sight of Tony Thompson's goal from a free-kick from 30 yards which Jimmy Phillips stepped up to take and bent one over the crossbar. 

The Millers came close from a set piece of their own just before 15 minutes had elapsed when Hammill's wicked inswinger was headed over the crossbar by the retreating Charile Carter. 

The windy conditions made it difficult for both sides but the Millers almost profited when Clarke-Harris latched onto a looping ball over the top before bursting at goal, only to see Sam Hornby race out and smother from his first touch. 

The Millers dominated the early exchanges and came within inches of the opener when Conor Newton's curling free kick clipped the post from 20 yards out. 

Moments later Newton looked to slide Jordan Bowery in behind the Albion defence but the blustery conditions at St. George's Park meant that his pass carried away from the former Aston Villa striker and into the goalkeeper's possession. 

Just before the half hour mark Hornby was called into action again when Hammill improvised a volley on the edge of the area which the Burton goalkeeper acrobatically turned behind for a corner. 

Millers’ stopper Thompson pulled off an equally, if not more impressive save at the other end, when Mark Shelton angled a shot at the top corner only to be thwarted by a superb flying save. 

Newton threatened again from a similar range to his previous effort but this time from open play when he opened up his body and rocketed an effort at goal which was a deflection shy of flying into the top corner. 

His midfield partner Milsom almost broke the deadlock seconds later when the resultant corner sat nicely for him on the edge of the area where he too unleashed a fierce effort which was blocked on its route to goal. 

Five minutes before the break Marcus Holness weaved into the Millers' area and forced a smart save from Thompson who repelled his effort at the near post. 

The best chance of the half came for the visitors when Thompson's volleyed clearance ran all the way to the Burton area where Clarke-Harris acrobatically turned an effort marginally over the crossbar. 

Hammill once again assumed position over a free kick from the right and delivered a tantalising centre which Clarke-Harris headed narrowly wide from six yards. 

Seconds before the break the Millers carved another opportunity to open the scoring. This time it was Jerry Yates who had come in from a wide position to latch onto a Bowery pass before drilling an effort just wide of the far post from the edge of the area. 

Half time: Burton Albion 0 v 0 Millers

The Millers came flying out the blocks after the break and were ahead after less than 120 seconds. 

Bowery opened his legs to race onto a threaded pass down the channel before keeping his cool to poke the ball beyond Hornby on the angle. 

Paul Raynor's team talk had clearly galvanised the visitors and they almost doubled their lead on 50 minutes. 

Hammill again took stewardship of a set piece and this time whipped in a corner that Newton glanced just wide as he attacked the near post.

The Millers were thoroughly in the ascendency and should have made it two when Hammill released Brindley in the area before he pulled a pass back across the face of goal where Clarke-Harris failed to make contact. 

The hosts remained industrious and got their reward against the run of play when Harness escaped down the right flank before coming inside and thundering an effort low into the bottom corner to put Burton on terms. 

Another free kick from Hammill caused problems in the Burton defence but just as Bowery looked to head home the referee spotted a foul on the goalkeeper and awarded the hosts a free kick. 

The Brewers looked dangerous on their rare forays into the Millers' area and came close to taking the lead when Jimmy Phillips curled an effort narrowly wide of the far post having drifted in from the right flank. 

Another break from the hosts saw Phillips burst at goal and fire an effort that was blocked into the path of Shelton who blazed an effort over from a difficult angle at the back post. 

The hosts were clearly buoyed by their chances and came close again when Chris Richards was denied by the heroics of Thompson who made a flying save to bat clear his stabbed effort at the near post. 

‎Clarke-Harris forced a save from Hornby when he met Hammill's corner with a header in the box, but his effort was tame and easy for the Brewers' stopper to hold. 

Raynor's side were unlucky moments later when they put together a fine flowing move which started with Hammill before the involvement of Brindley, Bowery and Newton allowed Clarke-Harris in on goal. 

However, as the former Oldham Athletic man looked to latch onto Newton's pass in the box, Hornby rushed out to prevent his touch from taking it around him to produce a fine save.

Full Time
Burton 1 v 1 Rotherham

Burton: Hornby; Doyle, Fox, Smith (Murfin), Richards, Harness, Carter, Phillips, Austin, Dinanga (Sejdic), Shelton,

Subs: Hornby, Coggins, Thorpe.

Rotherham: Thompson; Richardson, Brindley, Sadler, Fryers, Yates (Bailey-King 83), Milsom, Newton, Hammill, Bowery, Clarke-Harris.

Subs not used: Denton, Hallatt, Warren, Fenton.

Advertisement block