Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Partick Thistle 1 v 1 Rotherham - Report

25 July 2015

The Millers conclude their tour of Scotland...

Matt Derbyshire’s first strike of the season helped Rotherham United keep their unbeaten record during their tour of Scotland intact as they were held by Scottish Premiership outfit Partick Thistle.

Following back-to-back victories over Greenock Morton and Dundee during their three-game tour, the Millers reshuffled the pack for the trip to Firhill Stadium.

Frazer Richardson and Aidy White were asked to fill the full-back slots while summer recruit Greg Halford was handed the skipper’s armband as he was named at the heart of the Millers rearguard alongside Richard Wood.

Paul Green was rewarded for his winning strike at Dens Park with a starting berth while Jonson Clarke-Harris was given an opportunity to impress alongside Matt Derbyshire upfront.

The home side had the first sight of goal when White was penalised for clipping the heels of David Amoo but Rotherham managed to clear Stuart Bannigan’s resultant inswinging free-kick.

At the other end, Derbyshire almost latched onto Tomas Cerny’s mistake but Frederic Evans managed to halt his advance on goal before Clarke-Harris stung the palms of the home ‘keeper with a rising effort from just outside the box but any goal would have been chalked off for offside.

Moments later, Emmanuel Ledesma swung a delightful centre which bisected the home centre halves but Clarke-Harris was unable to direct his header goalwards despite having the goal at his mercy.

The Millers came within a whisker of the opener when Green’s clipped ball saw Ledesma control the ball in an instant to take Gary Miller out of the game and the Argentine playmaker beared down on goal to strike a fierce effort which was tipped over the bar by Cerny.

Home skipper Sean Welsh blazed a volley over the bar after Wood stretched out a leg to half clear Amoo’s centre before the ex-Carlisle winger tried his luck from distance but Adam Collin was well-stationed to snuff out the danger.

Just past the half-hour mark, the Millers took the lead when the ball was switched to Richardson on the right flank, who weighed up his options to float a delicate cross which saw Cerny race from his line but Derbyshire nipped infront of the Czech ‘keeper to head the ball into the unguarded net.

Moments later, the visitors counter attacked with purpose with Richie Smallwood leading the charge and Clarke-Harris showed fleet of foot to get the better of his marker but Cerny was quick off his line this time to smother the ball to safety.

The Millers had a scare when Liam Lindsay rose highest from Amoo’s corner to power a downward header which had to be hacked from his own line by Lee Frecklington, who was marshalling the near post.

Just before the interval, Green showed great tenacity to force his way into the home box before drilling a low shot which had Cerny nervously scurrying across goal as it fizzed past the upright.

Half-time- Patrick Thistle 0 Rotherham United 1

Following the interval, the Millers were thankful to Collin for keeping the scores level when Ryan Stevenson ghosted into the six-yard box to meet Amoo’s inch-perfect cross but his point-blank header was kept out by the Rotherham stopper, who stood up tall to parry the ball to safety.

However, the Rotherham ‘keeper turned from hero to villain moments later when Frecklington was caught in possession and Welsh controlled smartly before firing a long-range effort, which looked ambitious at best, but the ball bounced infront of the outstretched dive of Collin to find the corner of the net.

The visitors responded positively to the setback and Clarke-Harris sneaked in at the far post to meet Richardson’s dangerous centre but he failed to trouble the target before Stevenson headed wide following sub Steven Lawless’ run and cross at the other end.

Moments later, Stevenson fired into the side netting from an acute angle following good work from Amoo on the right flank before sub Jordan Bowery showed good footwork around the home box before firing a rasping drive which whistled past the upright.

With time running out, sub Grant Ward led a lightning counter attack for the visitors which saw Clarke-Harris work a shooting position but he fired into the side netting from a tight angle.

Full-time- Partick Thistle 1 Rotherham United 1

Teams- Patrick- Cerny, Miller, Booth (Wilson 46), Welsh (Leyden 77), Frans (Hendry 46) , Lindsay, Amoo (McDaid 71), Bannigan, Fraser (Lawless 56), Stevenson (Doolan 65), Elliott (Penrice 85)  Subs- Gallacher.

Rotherham- Collin, Richardson (Thorpe 85), White (Collins 85), Wood, Halford, Smallwood (G Ward 67), Frecklington, Green (Warren 67), Clarke-Harris, Derbyshire (Bowery 46), Ledesma (Yates 61). Subs- Roos. 

Referee- J. McKendrick

Attendance: 1,149 (166).

Advertisement block