Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morton 0 v 3 Rotherham - Report

18 July 2015

The Millers start their tour of Scotland with a win...

Rotherham United began their pre-season tour of Scotland with a 3-0 victory over Greenock Morton at Cappielow Park.

Goals from Greg Halford, Lee Frecklington and Jonson Clarke-Harris ensured a winning start to the Millers tour, with a host of players getting a much needed run out ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Dundee.

The Millers gave a first pre-season outing to Matt Derbyshire who successfully recovered from a knock, whilst Joe Mattock was also deemed fit to return after missing the mid-week fixture at Alfreton.

Steve Evans’ side opened the scoring after just 12 minutes when Derbyshire showed his trademark willingness to run the channels, picking the ball up on the right before crossing from the by-line, where Halford side-footed beyond Morton ‘keeper Derek Gaston.

Former Miller Michael Tidser lined up for the hosts and he showed a glimpse of his quality when he was picked out on the edge of the area, but his low drive was tipped around the post by Derby loanee Kelle Roos.

After a good spell from the hosts, the Millers put themselves in a commanding position with a second goal on 24 minutes. Halford’s first effort after a cross from the right was blocked, but Frecklington pounced on the re-bound to emphatically fire into the roof of the net.

The Millers looked in the mood and Paul Green showed great technique with a half-volley from 25 yards, which Gaston pushed round the post at full stretch.

Evans resisted temptation to make changes at the interval with the same starting 11 coming out for the second half.

Green made use of one of Halford’s long throws just after the break, but his tame header was straight at Gaston.

Roos was kept busy by Tidser just past the hour, but again the big Dutchman made a routine stop after an effort from 20 yards.

The only downside for the Millers came with the 20 minutes remaining when the impressive Mattock was forced off. The former West Brom defender fell awkwardly after heading the ball out for a corner and had to be replaced by Mason Warren.

From the resulting corner sub Jordan Bowery made a timely block after Conor Pepper fired in a shot from the edge of the area.

Sub Danny Ward then stung the palms of sub ‘keeper Grant Adam with a long range effort, and soon after Tottenham loanee Grant Ward powered in a shot from a similar range which Adam saved low to his right.

Danny Ward was close again with 10 minutes remaining when he glanced a right wing cross just wide of the far post.

Sub Warren almost grabbed some glory late on when his cross from the left took a wicked deflection, but Adam just held on as the ball threatened to dip over his head.

Late on sub Jonson Clarke-Harris sprinted clear to put the icing on the cake, rounding Adam before sliding the ball into the empty net.

Greenock: Gaston (Adam 53); Kilday (Trialist 67), Lamie (Scullion 79), O’Ware, Russell, Trialist (McCluskey 60), Tidser (Pepper 69), Forbes (Barr 60), Miller, MacDonald (Orr 69), McKee.

Rotherham: Roos; Richardson (Wood 61), Collins, Thorpe, Mattock (Warren 72), Frecklington (G. Ward 58), Smallwood, Green (Clarke-Harris 73), White (Trialist 58), Halford (Bowery 61), Derbyshire (D. Ward 58).

Attendance: 548

Advertisement block