Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Parkgate 1 v 9 Rotherham - Report

26 July 2014

The Millers in pre-season action...

Rotherham United secured a comfortable victory over Parkgate with new signing Matt Derbyshire on target in his first outing for the club.

In the sultry conditions at the Millers training base Steve Evans looked on as the Millers dominated proceedings from start to finish, despite a credible effort from the Millers part time opponents.

A hat-trick from Alex Revell, an own goal and further strikes from Derbyshire, Ryan Hall, Kari Arnason, Richard Wood and Jerry Yates meant the Millers were on cloud nine in front of a sun-drenched sea of Rotherham supporters.

The Millers made a bright start and rocked their hosts early on when a low cross from the right found Revell who raced through before sliding the ball beyond Dave Darwent.

Before the hosts had time to digest the early setback the Millers made it 2-0 on 12 minutes. Derbyshire and Revell showed a good early understanding when the former Blackburn striker nodded the ball into Revell’s path, and the Millers Wembley hero slotted the ball into the bottom corner for his second of the afternoon.

Worse was to follow for the non-league outfit as Rotherham turned up the heat with a third just two minutes later. Paul Green’s free-kick was stopped by a hand in the Parkgate wall with the referee having no alternative but to award a penalty. Derbyshire stepped up to coolly convert from 12 yards giving the ‘keeper no chance.

The home team then re-grouped as the Millers threatened to add more goals. Lee Frecklington was denied when his deflected shot was clawed away whilst Derbyshire’s near post header from a Joe Skarz cross was just wide.

With 10 minutes remaining until the interval the Millers added a fourth when from a right wing cross it appeared that Derbyshire had bagged a second, but the strike was later credited as an own goal.

Half time
Parkgate 0 v 4 Rotherham United

The hosts frustrated the Millers at the start of the second half with only a Green shot from the angle just past the hour mark of any note.

With 20 minutes remaining Evans’ side turned on the style with a glut of goals as Parkgate began to wilt in the heat. On 71 minutes a corner from the far side was powered in by the head of Arnason beating Darwent from eight yards.

Five minutes later and it was six with Revell completing his hat-trick. He showed good persistence after his initial shot was blocked to chase the re-bound, netting with an ice-cool finish from eight yards out.

The goals kept coming with Hall next to try his luck when he netted after a sweeping move down the left. Green picked out Skarz charging forward and after his cross was brought down by Hall he blasted the ball into the net from 20 yards giving Darwent no chance.

The Millers weren’t content with seven goals bagging an eighth which started a crazy last five minutes. After Frecklington’s shot was tipped wide the resulting corner wasn’t cleared allowing Wood to head in from close range.

Parkgate’s efforts were then rewarded with a minute remaining when Scott Whittington denied the Millers a clean sheet, firing past first year scholar Peter Denton. 

The final say went to the Millers and Academy prospect Yates who rounded Darwent to net with the final kick of the game.

Full time
Parkgate 1 v 9 Rotherham United

Parkgate: Darwent; Wragg, Bond, Lowe, Bounes, Abdulla, Langford, Shelton, Whittington, Fletcher, Morley.

Subs: Shaw, Edmondson, Preece, Poole, Ngoyi, Brown, Morton.

Rotherham: Collin (Denton 89); Rowe, Wood, Arnason, Skarz, Green, Frecklington, Rose, Hall (Warren 88), Revell, Derbyshire (Yates HT).

Advertisement block