Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

G4S Trophy Quarter Final

11 February 2014

Half time at the Rotherham Vs Leyton Orient game saw two of the G4S quarter final matches take place.

Brinsworth Howarth v Maltby Lillyhall

Final score 1-0

The first match saw Brinsworth Howarth take on Maltby Lillyhall. Both teams immediately showed the good football that had seen them progress to the quarter final stage.

This game proved to be very close, with the teams so evenly matched the game looked certain to go to penalties, but as the game wore on and the teams began to tire, slight gaps in the defence began to show and both teams created a couple of half chances which were easily dealt with by the goalkeepers.

The defining moment of the game came with just seconds left on the clock when a strike from Howarth’s midfield was initially dealt with by the Lillyhall goalkeeper but then an unfortunate slip presented the ball to the Howarth striker who gratefully slotted the ball home to send his side into the semi final. With only enough time left for Lillyhall to kick off the game ended 1-0 and whilst Brinsworth celebrated Lillyhall were left devastated by the late strike.

Sitwell v Anston Brook

Final Score 5-0

The second game to take place saw last year’s winners Sitwell face off against Anston Brook. This game saw Sitwell stamp their authority on the tournament and prove that they will once again be the team to beat.

From the second the whistle blew Sitwell showed they were in control of the game when a slick passing move ended with the ball in the back of the net. Any hopes that Anston had of Sitwell slowing down and sitting on their lead were shattered straight from the kick off when Sitwell stole the ball back and went straight down the field to score a second.

Anston were clearly stunned by this fast paced start and couldn’t get a grip on the game, this coupled with some fantastic football from Sitwell and saw them go 3-0 up just half way through the game. Sitwell kept up the pressure and went on to score a further 2 goals with Anston continuing to play with smiles on their faces but just unable to get hold of the ball.

The game finished 5-0 and Sitwell move on to face Brinsworth Howarth in the semi final game on Saturday 1st March when Rotherham play Notts County at the New York Stadium.

Rotherham United CST would like to thank all the teams who took part in these matches as both games were played in the right spirit and all four teams represented their schools very well.

For more information on the schools programme or other sport development programmes offered by Rotherham United Community Sports Trust please contact James Rawlinson on:

Telephone: 01709 827767
Mobile: 07538549061

Advertisement block