Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Doncaster 0 v 0 Rotherham Res - Report

26 February 2014

The Millers play out a 0-0 draw...

Rotherham United Reserves were held to a goalless draw by Doncaster Rovers in a game where the headlines were stolen by One Direction star Louis Tomlinson.

A healthy crowd were made to wait for the arrival of the pop sensation who entered the fray just after the hour mark sparking cries of excitement from the majority inside the Keepmoat Stadium, however there was little cheer from a Millers perspective in terms of goalmouth action, however several players gained some valuable game time ahead of the weekend.

Paul Raynor oversaw a strong Rotherham United side who, minus Academy prospect Jerry Yates, all had first-team experience. Club captain Craig Morgan made his first appearance since recovering from a recent bout of tonsillitis, lining up in central defence alongside Miles Addison.

The first opportunity of the game fell to the Millers when Nicky Walker made good progress down the right before picking out Tom Hitchcock whose goalbound effort was blocked by Luke McCullough.

At the other end Scott Shearer had his palms stung after a fierce striker from distance from Alex Whincop.

On 14 minutes the Millers had Shearer to thank for keeping the scores level. Nicky Adams was caught in possession deep inside his own half allowing Billy Whitehouse to advance forward, he then curled a dipping shot from the angle which Shearer pushed away to safety at full stretch.

Michael O'Connor tested his shooting boots early on with a shot from 20 yards after a knockdown from an Adams corner which flew high and wide, closely followed by a 25 yard free-kick which dipped just wide of Jonathan Maxted's right-hand post.

On 26 minutes the Millers came agonisingly close to an opener. Walker danced his way down the left flank with a mazy run before teeing up Hitchcock whose low shot cannoned off the post, with Adams being flagged offside before skying the follow-up. Shortly afterwards Richard Brindley picked out Hitchcock again lurking in the six yard area but this time he glanced his header over.

The Millers were now looking the most likely to break the deadlock with Adams seeing plenty of the ball down the right. On 33 minutes he jinked inside the area into a good position but dragged a shot wide of Maxted's far post from a tight angle.

Half time
Doncaster Reserves 0 v 0 Rotherham Reserves

Doncaster made a bright start to the second half when Whitehouse took aim from 25 yards which beat the despairing dive of Shearer but he was saved by his crossbar with the ball rebounding to safety.

It wasn't the best of starts to the second half in terms of chances but on 65 minutes the Keepmoat came alive as Tomlinson replaced Jordan Binns to a crescendo of screams and camera flashes. Amongst the noise and excitement on the terraces, almost unnoticed the Millers fluffed an opportunity when Hitchcock couldn't make a clean connection to a Walker cross.

One of the Millers best efforts of the half came on 75 minutes when Brindley surged forward into a threatening position but his firm strike sailed over Maxted's crossbar. The same player tried his luck from a similar area with 12 minutes remaining but his well timed strike was a foot wide of the near post.

Full time
Doncaster Reserves 0 v 0 Rotherham Reserves

Doncaster: Maxted; Binns, McCullough, Wakefield, Finnegan, Meade, Middleton, De Val, Whitehouse, Peterson, Whincop.

Subs not used: McLaren, Lund, Ferguson, Askins, Tomlinson.

Rotherham: Shearer; Brindley, Morgan, Addison, Rowe, Walker, O’Connor (Hallett 81), Milsom (Warren HT), Adams (Norfolk 63), Yates, Hitchcock.

Subs not used: Bryan, Fenton.

Advertisement block