Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mansfield 4 v 4 Reserves - Report

2 December 2014

The Millers were in reserve action at Mansfield...

Rotherham United Reserves played out an entertaining 4-4 draw with Mansfield Town in the Final Third Development League.

It was a strong side fielded by the Millers with first-team players Alex Revell, Joe Skarz, Lee Frecklington and Paul Taylor amongst the starters at the One Call Stadium. 

It was Rotherham who had the first chance when a cross-field pass by Jonson Clarke-Harris was chested down by Revell into the path of Taylor who gave the return pass to the Millers number nine who then shot wide from 18 yards.

Clarke-Harris was involved soon after when after a good turn he broke free down the left but from a narrow angle he crashed his shot over.

On 14 minutes the Millers took the lead. Good build-up play by Clarke-Harris resulted in a lay-off to Jordan Bowery; he then picked out Revell on the angle of the area. After a first touch to get the ball out of his feet he then crashed a low shot into the bottom corner beating Bishop at his near post.

Mansfield equalised four minutes later when Junior Brown burst past Mitch Rose down the left before surging into the box and firing low into the corner past Tony Thompson.

The Millers recovered from the setback and were back in front on 25 minutes. Conor Newton stung the palms of Bishop with a rasping shot from 25 yards and Revell pounced on the re-bound to bravely put the Millers back in front.

Mansfield came inches away from an equaliser 10 minutes before the interval when Rakish Bingham hammered a shot against the crossbar from 20 yards.

The home side levelled just after half-time after the Millers failed to clear. Oliver Palmer regained possession before striking the ball low into the corner from 18 yards out.

The Stags almost took the lead when Matt Rhead’s cross found Palmer but his low shot was turned around the post by Thompson.

The home side did take the lead however just past the hour when Bingham fired in a low free-kick around the wall which beat Thompson who was diving at full stretch. 

Having made all three subs the Millers were forced to play the last 25 minutes with 10 men after Skarz was deemed unable to continue after a knock.

The 10 men battled on and with just under 15 minutes remaining found themselves level. A great turn on the left by Bowery resulted in a pass to Taylor whose shot was turned onto the bar only for Newton to nod in the rebound. 

Mansfield missed a golden opportunity when sub Anthony Dwyer’s free header was saved by Thompson but when the ball was sent back into the box the same player was sent sprawling resulting in a penalty. Rhead then stepped forward to slot home the spot kick sending Thompson the wrong way.

Right at the end the Millers smashed the bar through Newton before netting a leveller when Taylor's corner was knocked down by Mat Sadler before deflecting into the net off Bowery.

Mansfield Town Reserves 4 v 4 Rotherham United Reserves 

Mansfield: Bishop; Sendles-White (Slone 69), Waterfall, Hempshall, Green, Palmer, Bell, Thomas, Brown (Dwyer 72), Bingham (Fitzpatrick 74), Rhead.

Subs not used: Koczalski, Harrison, Blake.

Rotherham: Thompson; Rose, Peace-McDonald (Yates 43), Skarz, Sadler, Taylor, Frecklington (Wiles 40), Newton, Clarke-Harris, Revell (Brandy 55), Bowery.

Subs not used: Denton, Norfolk.

Advertisement block