Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

The G4S Trophy Final

5 April 2014

Half-time at the Rotherham vs Bristol City game saw the G4S Trophy winners decided as the New York Stadium played witness to the final.

Report written by Toby Wildgoose

There was still time for one more chance though, and Kilnhurst could well have scored a third through Tom Smith, had the Brinsworth ‘keeper not been in such fine form. The second goal proved to be enough though, and upon the final whistle Kilnhurst Primary players were sent into raptures after winning the G4S Trophy.

As Kilnhurst pushed forward, this left them defensively open at the back and a Brinsworth chance soon followed, but a long range effort was spectacularly saved and the danger was cleared. The game was eventually decided in the dying moments when the ball fell to Kilnhurst captain, Brandon Walker,  the skipper calmly controlled the ball in the middle of the park before firing home with a long range shot into the roof of the net.

Moments later, another chance followed, however, this time a steady left-footed shot fired back off the upright and the danger was cleared. These missed chances didn’t phase Brinsworth though, and soon enough the team in blue had their equaliser, as a counter attacking move ended with Owen Broadhead firing a left footed shot into the bottom corner of the Kilnhurst goal. Moments later, Kilnhurst responded with a number of chances of their own as Tom Smith twice went close, but Brinsworth held on to keep the scores level.

Brinsworth began to push their way back into contention as the game went on, and two chances came for the blues in quick succession. The first opportunity came with around three minutes gone, but the Owen Broadhead’s shot went agonisingly wide into the side netting.

The game started in the best possible fashion for Kilnhurst as they showed off the skill that had seen them comfortably reach the final and defeat some formidable opponents along the way. Within the first minute of the game, the boys in red took the lead as Joe Hodgson brilliantly slotted a right footed free-kick past the outstretched arms of the Brinsworth goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

After months of hard-fought encounters and free flowing football, the 2013/14 G4S Trophy came to a close in a highly entertaining final between Kilnhurst Primary and Brinsworth Howarth.

Kilnhurst Primary 2 Brinsworth Howarth 1

Advertisement block