Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

New G4S Trophy

8 October 2013

The school football tournament that takes place during half time at Rotherham United home games is now sponsored by G4S.

Head of Community Jamie Noble said “I would like to thank G4S for sponsoring the tournament.
"It is also a great opportunity for all the school teams involved and it’s great to bring them down to the stadium and have the chance to play football on the pitch at half time.”

The first G4S game took place on 28/09/13 during the RUFC V Peterborough match. On pitch 1 Meadowview v Ferham played whilst on pitch 2 Monkwood v Whiston J&I played. The match reports from these 2 games are follows:

Monkwood Vs Whiston J&I

Final score 3-2

The half time break at the Rotherham Vs Peterborough game saw the first two games of this year’s g4s trophy take place, the game on pitch 1 was a hard fought battle between Monkwood primary school and Whiston J&I.

Whiston J&I got off to the perfect start with a goal in the very first minute when a long range shot found the bottom corner, they continued their positive start and quickly went 2 goals ahead when a scramble ended with the ball in the back of the net from close range.

Straight from the kick off with only 4 minutes remaining Monkwood went down the field and a powerful shot down to the bottom corner was too strong for the goalkeeper to save, at the time this looked nothing more than a consolation but when a long clearance from a Whiston corner was latched onto by the Monkwood striker he calmly rounded the keeper to draw his team level.

Shortly after equalising the same striker then completed his hat trick and the Monkwood comeback when he beat the Whiston goalkeeper at the near post from a tight angle. This ended what had been a thrilling game and a great advert for the g4s trophy.

Ferham Primary Vs Meadow View Primary

Final score 2-1

The 2nd game threw up a local derby between 2 good footballing sides. The opening exchanges were very tight but Ferham broke the deadlock after a powerful shot crept past the keeper to make it 1-0, this forced Meadow View to attack which left them vulnerable at the back and Ferham eventually capitalized on this when their striker broke through and finished tidily when 1 on 1 with the keeper.

To their credit Meadow View kept on battling and they were rewarded with 2 minutes when they pulled one back when the ball was prodded into the net following a goalmouth scramble. Ferham managed to hold on to their lead and will progress to the quarter finals. This game was also played in great spirit and all players were a credit to their schools.

Advertisement block