Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Millers res 0 v 2 Hull City res

13 February 2013

Reserves slip to Championship Hull...

Rotherham United were defeated 2-0 by a strong Hull City side at a wintry Roundwood, where the conditions forced the teams to kick off half an hour early. 

Rotherham faced off with the Tigers at Roundwood with David Noble, Ben Pringle and Dale Tonge amongst the ranks for Paul Raynor's outfit.

While Liam Rosenior, Cameron Stewart, Tom Cairney  and former Millers goalkeeper Mark Oxley were the senior members present for the visitors. 

Alec Denton, upon his return from Stamford was the first to threaten for the Millers after he was released behind the Hull City defence, only to be denied one-on-one by a smart save from Oxley. 

However, it was the visitors that opened the scoring when Jonathon Margetts evaded the challenge of Daniel Rowe, before dispatching his effort into Tony Thompson's goal. 

Denton came close to a leveller for the Millers after Luke Beedham's centre found him with space in the box, but the presence of Oxley was enough to force the striker off balance. 

Despite a spell of good Millers pressure, it was the visitors who got the second goal of the game. An accurately measured through ball sat up nicely in the snow for Cairney to convert from 15 yards out. 

Pringle almost conjured an immediate response for the home team after he received  the ball on the penalty spot and weaved past two Hull defenders, but another solid stop from Oxley was enough to retain his side's two goal lead. 

HT: Millers 0 v 2 Hull City

The snow on the pitch continued to thicken as the match progressed, but both teams battled on through the conditions.  

The Millers continued their quest for a goal after half time and came close when James Cadman curled an effort at the far post, which went just wide. 

A stray pass in the home defence almost paved the way for Cairney to grab his second, but was denied by good blocks from Reece Lucas and Tony Thompson after dwelling on the ball for too long. 

Substitute Phil Woods almost found himself on the scoresheet when he let fly from 25 yards, but his goalbound effort was deflected behind by a last ditch tackle. 

The lively Cairney would've secured his brace had his effort that cannoned back off Thompson's post, been an inch the other way after some neat work in the box had created the chance. 

The visitors almost capped the result with a third goal minutes from time when Stewart received the ball in the area, but despite having time and space the winger scooped his shot well over the bar.

Thompson then prevented a third by pulling off a fantastic save from a point blank Cairney effort, before Lucas cleared the danger with a solid block from Lewis Clarkson's shot. 

Millers 0 v 2 Hull City

Millers: Thompson, Tonge, Cameron, Lucas, Rowe, Cadman, Pringle, Noble, Beedham, Denton, Walker.
Subs: Woods, Bell, McKay.

Hull City: Oxley, Rosenior, McElroy, Fathi, Aimson, Wilson, Stewart, Armstrong, Margetts, Cairney, Emerton.
Subs: McCaffrey, Dillon, Clarkson. 

Advertisement block