Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rotherham Res 2 v 4 Sheff W Res - Report

9 December 2013

The Millers are beaten by Sheffield Wednesday...

A youthful Rotherham United Reserves slipped to a 4-2 defeat against Sheffield Wednesday at Roundwood this afternoon.

A Wednesday outfit which included Jermaine Johnson proved too strong for the Millers despite some impressive performances by Garreth Barker’s youngsters.

It was a quiet opening by both sides with the Millers restricted to long range efforts from Nicky Walker and Ally Watson which never threatened to test Owls ‘keeper Cameron Dawson.

Wednesday came close to the opener on 12 minutes when Johnson’s cross found Paul Corry but he dragged his effort just beyond the far post. 

The Millers gave a start to David Worrall as he continued his progress from injury, and he was involved on 15 minutes when his header found Ayrton Bevins in the area, but the young striker fired over when well placed. 

The Owls took the lead midway through the first half when following a mistake in the Millers defence, Freddie Tracey fired in a low shot which was parried by Charlie Bryan, only for the ball to find Andelko Savic leaving him with an easy tap-in.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining Walker fired in a low shot for the Millers which was deflected into the path of Watson, but he shot wide from just inside the area. Soon after a mistake at the back allowed Bevins the opportunity to race towards goal but his shot cleared Dawson’s crossbar.

Just before the break Wednesday doubled their advantage when Johnson raced to the byline before cutting the ball back for Tracey who side footed the ball in from six yards out.

Half time
Rotherham United Reserves 0 v 2 Sheffield Wednesday Reserves

The Millers made a bright start to the second half and almost pulled one back when Walker’s through ball found Bevins, but his shot was well saved at the near post by Dawson.

Wednesday responded by going close themselves with Savic heading just wide from Adam Hinchcliffe’s cross. It was the Millers though who looked likely to score and came close again when a quick free-kick found Walker whose shot from the angle was held by Dawson.

Despite the Millers threat it was Wednesday who killed the game off with 20 minutes remaining. Defender Ayo Obileye rising highest at the back post to head in and ease the Owls into a comfortable lead.

Back came the Millers though, pulling a goal back straight away. A terrific pass by Michael Williamson found marauding full-back Reece Lucas sprinting into the box, and from the angle he drilled a shot low beyond the outstretched hand of Dawson.

The goal looked like it would set up and exciting last 15 minutes but Wednesday ended the Millers hopes again when Tracey latched onto a rebound after a save by Bryan to stab goalwards and extend Wednesday’s lead.

It was the Millers who had the final say when with a couple of minutes remaining sub Jerry Yates’ effort from 18 yards took a deflection and nestled into the bottom corner.

Full time
Rotherham United Reserves 2 v 4 Sheffield Wednesday Reserves

Rotherham: Bryan; Lucas, Rowe (Wigley ht), Hallet, Johnson, Worrall (Cadman ht), Watson, Williamson, Walker (Yates 70), Bell, Bevins.

Subs not used: Wiles, Warren.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson; Conneh, Obileye, McKenzie, Floro, Johnson, Hinchcliffe, Corry, Lamdin, Tracey, Savic.

Subs: Fusco, Wildsmith, Mullen, Beresford, Ferguson.

Advertisement block