Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Red Devils v Millers - Preview

17 August 2013

Crawley 1 v 2 Rotherham - Report

Steve Evans and Paul Raynor made a winning return to Crawley Town after their side came from behind to win 2-1 at the Broadfield Stadium.

Despite falling behind to a Mat Sadler free-kick, goals from Kieran Agard and David Worrall sealed a deserved win, the Millers first league victory of the season.

It was the Millers who made the majority of the early running, taking the game to their hosts. After two minutes Michael O’Connor rifled a shot goalwards from 20 yards but his effort was blocked before falling to Ben Pringle whose subsequent strike was parried by Paul Jones.

On six minutes the Millers threatened again, a deep cross by Pringle was headed towards goal by Lee Frecklington but his effort was deflected over the bar.
Despite the Millers dominance Crawley took the lead with their first attack of the game. Sadler curled in a free-kick from the right which was missed by everyone, before nestling into the bottom corner beyond the diving Scott Shearer.

The goal killed the Millers momentum and it wasn’t until the 24th minute when they threatened again. A quick free-kick by Pringle down the left resulted in a cross to the back post which was just missed by Agard. A minute later a deep cross by Mark Bradley was spilled by the ‘keeper, the ball fell to O’Connor whose shot was headed off the line.

Just before the half hour mark Jamie Proctor headed just wide for hosts, while Josh Simpson also shot wide via a deflection.

On 36 minutes the Millers deservedly equalised. Pringle, at the heart of the action once again, delivered a corner to the back post finding Kari Arnason, who nodded the ball across goal allowing Agard to steer the ball in with his head.

Just before the break the Millers missed a great chance to go in front. Again it was a cross by Pringle this time searching out Alex Revell, but his diving header into the ground was tipped over the bar.

Half time
Crawley Town 1 v 1 Rotherham United

Again the Millers started on the front foot. On 48 minutes a cross by Frecklington found Matt Tubbs but he planted his header over the bar against his former club.

Just before the hour Proctor stung the palms of Shearer with a 20 yard strike but the Millers ‘keeper was equal to the task. 

On 62 minutes a Joe Skarz centre was held up by Revell before laying the ball to Frecklington but his half-volley rolled just wide. Pringle again was causing problems for the Crawley defence, on 70 minutes he was fed by Skarz before drilling a shot towards goal which Jones tipped over the bar.

The Millers were still well on top and their persistence paid off on 76 minutes. A deep cross by O’Connor was only cleared as far as sub Worrall who fired into the bottom corner from 20 yards, leaving Jones with no chance.

The Millers were no doubt waiting for a Crawley onslaught which simply didn’t materialise, sub Gary Alexander striking a tame effort well wide, was the closest they came.

In stoppage time Pringle teed up Revell for a simple tap-in but the goal was chalked off for offside.

Full time
Crawley Town 1 v 2 Rotherham United

Crawley: Jones; Hurst (Torres 88), Connolly, McFadzean, Sadler, Adams, Simpson, Drury (Rooney 81), Jones, Proctor (Alexander 69), Clarke.

Subs not used: Essam, Walsh, Bulman, Maddison.

Rotherham: Shearer; Bradley, Arnason, Morgan, Skarz, Agard (Tidser 90), O’Connor (Milsom 85), Frecklington, Pringle, Revell, Tubbs (Worrall 71).

Subs not used: Brindley, Davis, Collin, Nardiello.

Advertisement block