Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 06/11/2012

6 November 2012

Millers unlucky...

Rotherham United's back to back victories came to an end, but they do remain unbeaten following a 1-1  draw with Fleetwood Town. On a blustery evening on the west coast, Kari Arnason put the Millers ahead, before Jon Parkin equalised.

Rotherham United boss Steve Evans named an unchanged side for the trip to Highbury, with Jamie Devitt continuing on the right hand side.

Barry Ferguson was making his league debut for the Cod Army, but it was another wily veteran, Jon Parkin who created the first opening, losing his marker before seeing a tame shot go well wide of Andy Warrington’s goal.

There was little else to report in the first half, and it wasn’t until a hanging free-kick from Mark Bradley was missed by fumbled on the edge of the box by ‘keeper Scott Davies that a shot on target occurred.

Fortunately, that shot on target was Kari Arnason volleying into an empty net from the edge of the box to put the Millers ahead and on the road to a fifth straight win.

However, within two minutes that road was blocked as the hosts found too much space down their right, and when Shaun Beely crossed from the byline, Parkin was allowed space to volley home from 10 yards out to level the scores.

There was little else in the way of first half action, and only Parkin threatened after collecting Ferguson’s pass, only to see a shot roll harmlessly wide.

Fleetwood Town 1-1 Millers

The second half would provide a better spectacle and displayed some fine displays of goalkeeping at either end. The first effort of the half again came from Parkin who dropped deep to create the space, and for the third time dragged his shot wide of Warrington’s goal.

Within a minute however, Davies had chance to make up for his earlier error, blocking first from Revell before a wonderful point-blank stop from half-time substitute Gareth Evans’ follow up. The game hit a lull, with Sharps’ acrobatic effort on the hour being the only notable action before a frantic two minutes which brought the best from both ‘keepers.

David Ball played in Dean Howell on the left whose low drive was stopped very well by Warrington, whilst at the other end, Kayode Odejayi cut back for Revell, whose side-footed effort was saved by Davies.

If the Cod Army’s stopper had not already made up[ for his previous effort, he was alert to pull off a world class save on 78 minutes when Revell’s header appeared destined for the bottom corner 12 minutes from time.

Fleetwood Town 1-1 Millers

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley, Howell, McNulty, Parkin (Brown 55), Fowler (Marrow 64), McGuire, Ball (Barhuizen 78), Mawene, Obeng, Ferguson.
Unused:  Milligan, Nicholson, Goodall, Maxwell.

Millers: Warrington, Bradley, Sharps, Morgan, Morris, Devitt (Evans HT), Arnason (O’Connor HT), Frecklington, Pringle, Odejayi, Revell.
Unused: Thompson, Taylor, Nardiello, Hunt.

Att: 2,498

Advertisement block