Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rotherham Utd res 3v1 Stoke City res

19 December 2012

Odejayi brace helps down Potters...

Rotherham United’s reserves made it four games unbeaten after a convincing 3-1 victory over Stoke City at Roundwood.

Kayode Odejayi scored a brace before Gareth Evans finished off the scoring against a young Potters side who could only muster a second-half Jordan Richardson strike in response.

The Millers included a number of senior players, with Dale Tonge captaining the side on his return from injury, whilst the visitors were made up primarily of Under 21 players. However, despite their youth, the visitors attacked from the off and went close within seconds as Karim Rossi fired wide following some good build up play.

That was as good as it got for the visitors, as Nicky Walker prevented the Stoke backline from clearing and fed Odejayi who raced onto the ball and slid beneath Daniel Bachmann after two and a half minutes to put the Millers into the lead.

This composed the Millers, who went close to doubling their lead in a period that saw a flurry of chances. Kieran Agard forced a save from Bachmann following some fine work by Gareth Evans on the left, and the Stoke ‘keeper was quickly back up to prevent Walker with the follow-up.

Agard, after trying himself then turned provider from the deeper central midfield position he started in, playing in Courtney Cameron who saw his shot blocked by Bachmann, whilst at the other end Richardson fired wide of Tony Thompson’s goal from 18 yards. Walker, who was impressing in a central position for the Millers then had a golden opportunity, racing clear of the Stoke backline only to see Bachmann again save low to his right.

A second goal eventually came and it was a routine straight from the training ground. From a Millers goal kick, Cameron pulled out to the left-hand side, and touched the ball inside for Evans who lifted the ball up from the byline for Odejayi to double his and the Millers’ lead with a header at the far post.

Evans and Walker continued to pull the strings for the home side, and it was that combination that brought the third goal. Walker rolling the ball into Evans who turned well and unleashed a rocket into the roof of the net. This coming after he had twice been denied by Bachmann.

Thompson had been very much a spectator in the first period, but was called into action for the final chance of the half; Lucas Dawson picked out Richardson whose curling effort was destined for the bottom corner until the Millers stopper pulled off a fine save.

Millers 3-0 Stoke City

The second period didn’t see the same amount of pressure on the Potters’ goal, but Agard and Walker again, both had half chances that were snubbed out by the goalkeeper. However, as the game hit the hour mark, Stoke did finally get something back in the game when Richardson blasted home from just inside the area after Andy Musungu had crossed from the left.

Evans, now operating on the left following the introduction of Alec Denton went close to regaining the two goal cushion within minutes but his cross bounced safe after hitting the bar, and as injury time approached he was foiled by Bachmann before Walker dragged the last chance of the game wide of the post.

Millers 3-1 Stoke City

Millers: Thompson, Tonge (Lucas HT), Ridehalgh, Rose, Rowe, Hunt, Walker, Agard, Odejayi, Evans, Cameron (Denton 62).
Unused: Williamson, Beedham, Cadman.

Stoke: Bachmann, Keane, Campbell (Monlouis 84), Dawson, Heneghan, Parry, Glasgow (Thomas 66), Clarkson, Rossi (Richards 78), Musungu.
Unused: Eve

Advertisement block