Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
23 August 2022 Venue AESSEAL New York Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Rotherham 0 v 1 Morecambe

23 August 2022

Millers exit Carabao Cup.......

Rotherham United exited the Carabao Cup at the second round stage following a solitary goal defeat at the hands of Morecambe.

In a low-key AESSEAL New York Stadium affair, Arthur Gnahoua settled the tie in the Lancastrians favour with the only goal of the game.  

Following their hard-earned point against Queens Park Rangers at the weekend, Millers boss Paul Warne retained just two of his starters in the capital.

Midfield dynamo Ollie Rathbone and experienced operator Lee Peltier, who took the skipper’s armband, were the two players to keep their places.

There was a first Rotherham home start for striker Georgie Kelly following a number of substitute cameos. Summer recruits Jamie McCart, Cohen Bramall and Scott High also started the game while Tom Eaves shrugged off injury to lead the Rotherham line for the first time in his second debut for the club.

Brooke Norton-Cuffy was thrust immediately into the fray just 24 hours after putting pen to paper on a season-long loan deal from Arsenal.

Following a slow start by both sides, the Millers had the first attack of note when High’s perfectly-weighted ball presented Bramall with the chance to skip to the by-line, before fizzing a cross which was inches away from the outstretched foot of Kelly, who would have had a tap in, but visiting defender Liam Gibson did enough to prevent him getting a telling connection.

Minutes later, Jamie Lindsay blazed a shot over with his instep from a promising position on the edge of the box before Kelly almost got on the end of a Wes Harding delivery, but he was crowded out.

From the resultant corner, McCart headed over harmlessly following Eaves’ knock back before Kelly’s snap shot was deflected by Ryan Delaney into the grateful hands of ‘keeper Connor Ripley.  

Kelly was in the thick of the action and the Irish striker fought hard to win possession before driving hard at the Shrimps defence, but his pass was slightly overhit for Lindsay, who could only fire into the side netting from a tight angle.

In Morecambe’s first foray of note, Gibson drilled an effort over after getting the better of Norton-Cuffy before Jake Taylor tried his luck from distance but his rising shot found the home fans behind the goal.

The game was lacking a little bit of quality and High fired a speculative effort which cleared the crossbar before Peltier attempted to meet Bramall’s near post corner but he could not direct his header goalwards under pressure from a number of visiting defenders.

Half-time: Rotherham United 0 Morecambe 0    

There was a moment of concern, at the start of the second half, when Kelly needed lengthy treatment, but the home fans favourite made a quick recovery as he almost bulldozed his way through the Shrimps defence in the next phase of play.

The second 45 was following a similar low-key pattern to the first period before Rathbone took aim with a half-volley from long range which whistled past the visiting upright.

Bramall failed to make the best of a couple of good crossing opportunities before McCart had to stick out a timely leg to deny Jensen Weir at the other end.

There was a flurry of substitutions, just past the hour mark, with the Millers making a quartet of changes and Morecambe making two.

Man of the moment Chiedozie Ogbene, was one of those, and he made an immediate impression with a lung-bursting run from deep which was only halted by Morecambe’s last man.

The Millers had struggled to find their rhythm all night and they were punished with 18 minutes to go when Caleb Watts took advantage of a slip by Lindsay to find Gnahoua, who  ran hard at the Rotherham backline before firing a low, left-footed effort, which Josh Vickers got a hand to, but could not keep out.

Warne’s side responded immediately to the setback and they should have been on level terms within minutes when McCart delivered a tantalising centre which Ogbene looked set to turn home, from close range, but for once, he fluffed his lines with a poor finish.

Minutes later, McCart himself was inches away from meeting sub Shane Ferguson’s clever through ball before Ogbene headed narrowly over with the Northern Irishman, again providing the assist, following a driving run and cross.

Time was running out for the hosts and Kelly headed over before sub Joshua Kayode tumbled under the challenge of a visiting defender in the box, but no further action was taken.

Warne’s side were finally raising the tempo, but it was too little too late, and Ferguson’s inswinging corner had Ripley at full stretch, as the Morecambe 'keeper tipped the ball over before sub Hakeem Odoffin’s effort was deflected over.

Derek Adams’ side weathered a couple of Rotherham corners in five minutes of stoppage time as they booked their place in the third round hat – in a disappointing night – for all those with a Rotherham United persuasion.

Full-time: Rotherham United 0 Morecambe 1  

Rotherham United 0

Morecambe 1

Teams: Rotherham- Vickers, Harding, Bramall (Ferguson 63), McCart, High, Eaves (Kayode 64), Norton-Cuffy (Ogbene 63), Kelly, Lindsay (Odoffin 80), Rathbone (Barlaser 63), Peltier. Unused: Johansson, Barlaser, Wiles, Bola, Humphreys.

Morecambe- Ripley, Love, Gibson (McLoughlin 80), Rawson, Delaney, Taylor (Watts 65), Fane, Connolly, Gnahoua, Weir (O’Connor 65), Bedeau. Unused- Smith, Mendes, Mayor, Rooney, Davidson, Foden.

Referee- P Wright

Attendance- 3808 (172)








Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account