Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Oct 10 at 16:52 PM

Bury 1 v 1 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United earned a hard-fought point after a 1-1 draw against Bury at Gigg Lane.

Ryan Lowe capitalised on a defensive error to give the Shakers the lead, but Adam Le Fondre equalised early in the second half.

Ronnie Moore made two changes for the Millers' trip to Bury.Nick Fenton captained the side in the absence of Ryan Cresswell, who was missing for personal reasons, and Mark Bradley made his first start for the Millers in place of Tom Pope.

The Millers started brightly and enjoyed the better of the opening stages, but, despite all their possession, were unable to test 'keeper Cameron Belford early on.The first effort of note came when Bury failed to clear a high ball into the box and Jason Taylor fired wide from 20 yards. Fenton tried his luck from a similar distance after 12 minutes, with a similar result.

Bury squandered a chance at the other end when Andy Warrington failed to find distance with his punch under pressure from Lenell John-Lewis, but Michael Jones fired over from 12 yards. The Shakers had another good chance after 20 minutes when Lowe nodded down for John-Lewis to strike, but Warrington held the shot comfortably.

After half an hour Rotherham had their best chance when Le Fondre was released when Nicky Law found a gap through the middle whilst Efe Sodje was still getting to his feet after being bundled. However Le Fondre could only screw his shot across the face of goal and out for a goal kick. Bury immediately went on the attack at the other end but John-Lewis' left-footed shot sailed over.

Bury were gifted the opening goal after 41 minutes with a comedy of errors.Danny Harrison's slip in midfield gave Bury the chance to break. Exodus Geohoghan looked to have the situation under control but played a short back-pass to Warrington.Lowe intercepted the pass and rounded Warrington to open the scoring.

Half time: Bury 1 v 0 Rotherham United

The Millers equalised a minute after the restart through Le Fondre. Fenton's long ball down the left wing was over-hit, but Ellison kept chasing. Phil Picken won the race but could only clear against Ellison who hit a bouncing first time cross into the centre with Le Fondre arriving to nod the ball inside the near post in front of the travelling fans.

Bury looked to retake the lead and the ball broke to Lowe in the 53rd minute, but the striker curled his shot over the bar from outside the box. Rotherham had a chance two minutes later when Jason Taylor swung in a free kick from deep but Fenton could only nod into the side netting at the far post.

Taylor was again involved on the hour when his left-footed shot from 20 yards sailed wide after Bury failed to clear Law's corner. Sodje had a chance for Bury soon after when he got up between two Millers defenders but headed wide from eight yards.

Bury introduced Nicky Asoje from the bench who showed plenty of raw talent, and forced the Millers into desperate defending when his mazy run in the 85th minute eventually broke down when he collided with fellow substitute Kyle Bennett. The ball wasn't effectively cleared and Asoje had another chance seconds later but Warrington was equal to his drilled shot from a tight angle.

Full time: Bury 1 v 1 Rotherham United

Bury: Belford; Picken, Skarz, Lees, Worrall (Haworth 60), Schumacher, John-Lewis (Ajose 60), Jones (Bennett 84), Lowe, Sodje, Mozika.

Subs not used: Futcher, Sweeney, Branagan, Harrop.

Rotherham United: Warrington; Mullins, Newey, Fenton, Geohaghon, Law, Bradley (Marshall 81), Harrison, J. Taylor, Ellison, Le Fondre.

Subs not used: Green, Ashworth, Warne, Elliott, Holden, Annerson.

Attendance: 3,788

    Latest Match Reports