Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 at 20:20 PM

Morecambe 0 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United maintained their unbeaten start to the League Two season after a hard fought 0-0 draw at Morecambe. In an entertaining game the Millers created several opportunities with Adam Le Fondre coming closest in the first half when he smashed the bar with a shot from 25 yards. Manager Ronnie Moore reverted to the side that beat Lincoln City for the first League Two game at the Globe Arena. The game started slowly but the Millers were the brighter and had the first effort on goal after six minutes.Tom Newey broke down the left and delivered a low cross, which was cleared as far as Le Fondre, but the marksman shot wide from 10 yards. The visitors tried to build on their early possession and forced Barry Roach to make the first save of the game inside nine minutes.Tom Elliott broke forward and fed Danny Harrison, who shot left-footed from distance and forced Roach into a smart save low to his left.Kevin Ellison tried his luck form the edge of the area moments later, but his shot on the turn sailed over the crossbar. Morecambe slowly gained a foothold in the game and had two attempts on goal around the half hour mark.Former Millers loanee Adam Rundle was involved on both occasions, breaking forward and shooting for the edge of the area.His first attempt was easily saved by Andy Warrington and he skewed his second well wide. Half time Morecambe 0 v 0 Rotherham United The Millers came agonisingly close to opening the scoring on 48 minutes. Le Fondre advanced with the ball and when the Morecambe defence backed off he unleashed a fierce drive from 20 yards which rattled the crossbar. Morecambe then went straight down the other end and almost scored themselves. Phil Jevons played in Rundle who shot across goal from a narrow angle but the ball went wide of the far post. On 51 minutes the home side threatened again. Laurence Wilson crossed from the right byline to Jevons 18 yards out but his shot flew over the bar and out of the ground. On the hour mark the Millers missed a glorious chance. Le Fondre created room on the right before digging out a perfect cross for Elliott but his unmarked header was planted just wide of the far post. On 71 minutes Newey made a good break down then left before finding Ellison just inside the area. The winger took one touch to steady himself before hammering a shot goalwards but Roach made a brilliant reflex stop to keep the scores level. Two minutes later and Ellison had another half chance. Dean Holden's cross was scooped into air after a mistimed clearance, the ball came down for Ellison but his scuffed effort was straight at Roach. Morecambe should have been in front on 79 minutes. Rundle's corner wasn't dealt with by the Millers defence allowing Chris McCready a free header but the ball cannoned against the post and landed to safety. Ellison was close again when with five minutes remaining he was found after a neat flick by Le Fondre but a last ditch challenge by Darren Moss saved the home side. On 89 minutes the Millers almost snatched a winner when Ryan Cresswell's header from a corner landed at an awkward height for Ellison who couldn't direct it towards goal. Full time Morecambe 0 v 0 Rotherham United Morecambe: Roach; Moss, Scott, Stanley, Rundle, Shuker (Duffy 76), Jevons (Mullin 89), McCready, Fleming (Hunter 89), Wilson, Parrish. Subs not used: Walker, Spencer, Drummond, Haining. Rotherham United: Warrington; Holden, Cresswell, Geohaghon, Newey, Law, J. Taylor, Harrison, Ellison, Elliott (Marshall 83), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Brogan, Green, Ashworth, Warne, Bradley, Annerson. Att: 3,258

    Latest Match Reports