Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 at 16:55 PM

Rotherham 2 v 1 Lincoln - Report

Rotherham United kicked-off the new League Two campaign with a 2-1 win over Lincoln City at Don Valley Stadium. Adam Le Fondre started where he finished the last campaign by opening the scoring in the first half, before Mustapha Carayol equalised for the Imps just after half-time. With time running out the game seemed destined for a draw but Ryan Cresswell headed a winner three minutes from time to seal the win. Ronnie Moore gave debuts to several new signings with Cresswell, Exodus Geohaghon, Tom Elliott, Dean Holden and Tom Newey all selected in the starting 11. The visitors settled well and forced a corner on four minutes, which was delivered to the far post by Albert Jarrett.Josh O'Keefe rose unchallenged but couldn't direct his header on target. The Millers' first attack resulted in the first goal of the game after eight minutes.A long ball forward was won by Newey, but Le Fondre over-ran the ball and it appeared the chance was gone.A deep cross by Nicky Law found Kevin Ellison's head and his effort was cleared off the line, but Le Fondre was lurking and smashed the ball into the roof of the net to give the Millers an early lead. Rotherham tried to press home their advantage but had to wait until 31 minutes for their next attempt on goal.Law broke into the penalty area and crossed to Elliott, but the loanee headed wide under pressure. Law and Elliott linked up again just before half time, when Law hooked a cross into the area from the right wing and Elliott rose highest, heading a fraction wide with 'keeper Joe Anyon scrambling across his line. The Millers finished the half strongly, and again Elliott was in the thick of it.He broke down the left wing and delivered a cross to Ellison, whose shot from 10 yards was superbly blocked by two Lincoln defenders at full stretch. Half time Rotherham United 1 v 0 Lincoln City With 52 minutes on the watch Lincoln equalised. A long diagonal pass to the right was picked up by Carayol, who cut inside from the wing before striking the ball into the bottom corner, to cap a fine solo goal. Carayol threatened again on 57 minutes. This time he picked up possession on halfway before running at the heart of the Millers defence, taking on several Millers players in the process, but when in on goal he lost his composure and fired well over. After a shaky opening to the half the Millers recovered and came close on 64 minutes. Debutant Holden crossed from the right for Elliott who again rose well but could only glance his header wide of the far post. On 68 minutes Holden again was the provider from the right, this time Le Fondre met the cross with his head but directed the ball just over the bar. With three minutes remaining the Millers grabbed a second goal. Good play by sub Mark Bradley resulted in a pass wide to Law who crossed perfectly for skipper Ryan Cresswell who had the simple task of heading into the net from a yard out. Full time Rotherham United 2 v 1 Lincoln City Rotherham United: Warrington; Holden, Cresswell c, Geohaghon, Newey, Law, J. Taylor, Harrison (Bradley 76), Ellison, Elliott, Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Brogan, Warne, Marshall, Darley, Green. Lincoln City: Anyon; Green, Anderson, Watts (Pearce 61), Swaibu, Carayol, Kerr (Keltie 78), O'Keefe, Jarrett, Hughton (McCallum 88), Broughton. Subs not used: Facey, Clapham, Musselwhite, Hutchinson. Attendance: 3772 (533).

    Latest Match Reports