Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 03 Jan 11 at 19:03 PM

Macclesfield 0 v 2 Rotherham - Report

Goals either side of half-time by Jason Taylor and Nick Fenton handed the Millers a hard-fought win away at Moss Rose. It will have been an especially satisfying victory for Ronnie Moore's men who were made to work diligently for the points by a tireless Macclesfield side.Jason Taylor rounded off a swift attack to open the scoring in the first half and Fenton reacted first in the box to secure the points in the closing stages, giving Rotherham their second win in three days since the New Year. Dale Tonge returned to the starting eleven for the fixture in place of Danny Coid who missed out with an ankle injury - the only change to the squad from the New Year's Day demolition of Port Vale at Don Valley. Tom Newey's blushes were spared with just three minutes on the clock.A deflected cross-field ball came harmlessly to Newey and the Millers' left-back opted to nod the ball back to Andy Warrington.Silkmen striker Tyrone Barnett reacted quickly to latch onto the loose ball but could only dink the ball over the crossbar under pressure from Warrington who made himself big between the sticks. The Millers had a chance of their own two minutes later through a troublesome corner.Nicky Law's hanging centre allowed Ryan Taylor to meet the ball at the far post. The ball fell into the path of Fenton but the centre-half was denied a clean strike by a firm block by Lewis Chalmers for the Silkmen. After quarter of an hour the Millers had another great chance to break the deadlock.Jason Taylor played a teasing ball across the box which the Silkmen were forced to turn behind for a corner.Newey sent in a cross from the following set-piece but Fenton looped his header narrowly over the frame of the goal. With the Silkmen defending solidly the Millers were struggling to fashion any chances, but Marcus Marshall's industrious run just before the half-hour mark allowed the Millers to take the lead in spectacular fashion. Marshall used clever feet to keep the ball in play deep in his own half.The midfielder went on a mazy run up the right wing and left Silkmen left-back Izak Reid sprawling on the floor before feeding Adam Le Fondre.The striker swung in an instant cross which hung perfectly for Jason Taylor to meet with a bullet header.His attempt flew beyond the outstretched hands of Jose Veiga and nestled into the top corner in front of the travelling Millers fans. With five minutes to play before the break the Silkmen had a penalty claim turned down after Chalmers drilled a diagonal ball towards onrushing striker Barnett.Newey tangled inside the box with the forward bearing down on goal but the referee awarded a goal-kick as the ball dribbled over the byline to the dismay of the incredulous home fans. It proved the last real chance in a toughly contested first half with Ronnie Moore's men leading into the interval. Half-time: Macclesfield 0 v 1 Rotherham Macclesfield continued to work hard in the second period as they chased for an equaliser.A long throw from the left by Chalmers caused mayhem in the Millers box.The ball was only cleared as far as Hamza Bencherif on the edge of the area but the midfielder stabbed his effort through the crowd and wide of the target. Chalmers continued to provide quality from dead ball situations and crossed a deep freekick onto the head of Nat Brown. The centre-half rose well to nod down for Bencherif but Jason Taylor was on hand in a defensive capacity this time to block the shot. Arsenal loanee Mark Randall was introduced 20 minutes into the second half in place of Will Atkinson as Ronnie Moore looked to freshen up the midfield. Macclesfield continued to control the possession as they pushed for a goal but Rotherham looked happy to shepherd the Silkmen's forward play and captain Fenton especially dominated in the air to stifle the attack. Powerhouse striker Ricky Sappleton came on to offer a new threat to the Millers' rearguard but it was Rotherham who nearly scored the second just moments later.A quick break down the left flank eventually broke down when the ball found its way to Tonge inside the box.Le Fondre eventually regained possession and fed Randall but the midfielder ballooned his shot over the bar. The Millers were being forced to work hard by an industrious Macclesfield side but Rotherham's quality shone through as they doubled their lead in the closing stages.Newey's corner was knocked down by Johnny Mullins for his defensive partner Fenton to stab home to open his account for the season. With the game entering stoppage time Macclesfield carved a late chance through Colin Daniel.A headed clearance fell to the midfielder 20 yards from goal who controlled with his thigh and unleashed a volley in one motion but the strike dipped over the bar. The Millers held on in the latter stages to keep a clean sheet in a performance that required plenty of toil to maintain their perfect record in 2011. Full-time: Macclesfield 0 v 2 Rotherham Rotherham: Warrington; Tonge, Fenton, Mullins, Newey, Marshall, Law, J.Taylor, Atkinson (Randall 64), R.Taylor (Pope 77), Le Fondre. Subs (not used): Annerson, Harrison, Warne, Ashworth, Ellison. Goals: J.Taylor (28), Fenton (84) Bookings: Marshall (59), Tonge (67) Macclesfield: Veiga; Gray, Brown, Morgan, Reid, Draper (Sappleton 75), Butcher, Chalmers, Bencherif, Daniel, Barnett. Subs (not used): Cudworth; Nsiala, Hamshaw, Lowe, Wedgbury, Roberts. Referee: Eddie Ilderton (Tyne & Wear) Attendance: 2,316 Words: Richard Dorman

    Latest Match Reports