Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Nov 10 at 21:42 PM

Rotherham 2 v 2 Northampton - Report

Rotherham United spurned a two goal lead after the visitors struck with two goals in a minute to earn a point at Don Valley Stadium. It was looking good for the Millers after Ryan Taylor and Marcus Marshall put the Millers firmly in control but after a minute of madness the visitors struck twice to earn a share of the spoils. Ronnie Moore was forced into one change as Rotherham United entertained Northampton Town, with Jamie Green replacing the suspended Tom Newey. The Millers capitalised on the momentum gained in Saturday's victory at Crewe and got off to the best possible start after four minutes when the front two linked up to great effect.Adam Le Fondre cleverly flicked on to Taylor, who showed great awareness of 'keeper Chris Dunn's position and chipped him from 20 yards. Rotherham were the better side but struggled to create chances, with the exception of a sleek counter attack in which Nicky Law was instrumental, before Kevin Ellison's cross was claimed at full stretch by Dunn. On 16 minutes Northampton had their first attempt at goal, but Leon McKenzie headed over Craig King's cross when well-placed to do better. The Millers deservedly doubled their lead after 19 minutes after another counter attack.Marshall cut inside, but his shot was blocked and it looked like the chance had gone, but the Cobblers failed to clear their lines and Marshall made no mistake at the second attempt, smashing home left-footed from 18 yards. Northampton struck back immediately when Abdul Osman scrambled home Ryan Gilligan's low free kick, and they equalised straight from the kick off, as Andrew Holt found himself through on goal and smashed his shot through Jamie Annerson's legs. They could have taken the lead with just 25 minutes on the clock, but again McKenzie headed over the crossbar from eight yards. Things almost went from bad to worse when Annerson handled outside the penalty area but, fortunately for the Millers as they did not have a goalkeeper on the bench, referee Mr. Lewis decided a caution was sufficient punishment. McKenzie missed another chance after 37 minutes, but he shot straight at Annerson from 18 yards after he latched onto Gilligan's header. The visitors were buoyed by their equaliser, but the Millers came close to re-taking the lead when Marshall again cut inside, although this time he curled his shot inches wide. Half time Rotherham United 2 v 2 Northampton Town The Millers started the second half on the front foot but it took until 59th minute before the first opportunity arrived. Marshall scuffed a shot towards goal and the block fell into the path of Law but the ball wouldn't sit and his shot was deflected behind for a corner. Annerson was called into action for the first time in the second half when Craig King latched onto a flick on 72 minutes. On the edge of the area he lashed a shot towards goal but Annerson reacted quickly to his left to palm the ball away. On 75 minutes a neat pass inside by Law found Le Fondre in a yard of space 25 yards from goal. He shuffled the ball onto his right foot before curling the ball towards the bottom left corner but Dunn was across to make the save. The Millers continued to probe looking for a way through a stubborn Northampton back four. This time it was Law receiving a pass from Le Fondre and after working a yard of space he tried to chip Dunn from just inside the area, but he got too far underneath the ball and sent it over the bar. Full time Rotherham United 2 v 2 Northampton Town Rotherham United: Annerson; Coid, Mullins, Fenton, Green, Marshall, Law, Bradley (Harrison 74), Ellison (J.Taylor ht), R. Taylor, Le Fondre. Subs not used: Harrison, Pope, Brogan, Ashworth, Warne, Elliott. Northampton Town: Dunn; Hall, Beckwith, Gilligan, Osman, Holt, Wedderburn, Johnson (Rodgers 70), McKenzie, Tozer, King (McKay 74). Subs not used: Thornton, Hinton, Herbert, McKay, Jacobs, Walker. Attendance: 2,490 (138).

    Latest Match Reports