Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 17:39 PM

Rotherham 2 v 1 Oxford - Report

Adam Le Fondre netted twice to help the Millers to a thoroughly deserved 2-1 victory over Oxford United at Don Valley Stadium. Le Fondre struck twice in the space of 12 first half minutes as the Millers bounced back from the mid-week defeat to Huddersfield.Simon Clist pulled one back for the visitors in first half stoppage time, but the Millers held firm in the second half and had chances to win by a larger margin. Ronnie Moore handed a debut to emergency loan signing Danny Coid, who filled in for the injured Johnny Mullins at right back.Elsewhere, Andy Warrington, Tom Newey, Mark Bradley and Le Fondre returned as Moore made five changes from the side that lost to Huddersfield Town in midweek. The game started slowly and the first effort had to wait until the 18th minute. Clist picked up the ball on the left wing from a throw-in, cut inside and crossed right-footed.Alfie Potter drifted in off the right wing and broke the offside trap, but his free header from eight yards went harmlessly over Warrington's crossbar when well-placed to do better. The Millers responded immediately and had an effort of their own within a minute.Marcus Marshall hit a low cross from the right, which was just behind Ryan Taylor.With his back to goal, Taylor laid off to Le Fondre, but the prolific striker's first time effort sailed over from 12 yards. The game had sprung to life, and Warrington was tested for the first time after 21 minutes.Tom Craddock cut inside off the left wing and found space on the edge of the Rotherham United penalty area, and he was allowed to hit a powerful effort at goal which forced Warrington into a smart save to his right. Oxford were growing in confidence and the lively Potter was involved again when he fed Steve MacLean, who forced another good save from Warrington. On 26 minutes to Millers took the lead.A superb run from Marshall opened up space 25 yards from goal and he hit a powerful shot left-footed.The giant Ben Futcher blocked his effort, but the deflection went straight to Le Fondre, who had the simple task of beating Ryan Clarke from six yards.Oxford appealed for offside but the assistant's flag stayed down and Le Fondre took his tally to 15 for the season. After the goal the Millers seemed to grow in confidence and pushed forward in search of a second.Ryan Taylor used Stephen Brogan's decoy run to good effect, and found the space to curl inches wide from 20 yards. The Millers did double their lead after 37 minutes, and again it was Le Fondre.Ryan Taylor was strong in the air, and headed a high ball into the path of Le Fondre, who slotted home first time to take advantage of Clarke's poor position in the Oxford goal. Brogan tried his luck from a free kick just before the half time whistle, but his well-struck effort was comfortably saved by Clarke. Oxford pulled a goal back against the run of play in first half stoppage time.Craddock and MacLean played an excellent one-two inside the Millers' penalty area.Warrington parried Craddock's effort, but was powerless to prevent Clist converting the rebound. Half time Rotherham United 2 v 1 Oxford United The Millers suffered a blow during half time as skipper Ryan Cresswell was unable to continue and was replaced by Luke Ashworth. The visitors had the first chance of the second half and forced a smart save from Warrington in controversial circumstances.Bradley appeared to be fouled in the centre circle, but referee Mr. Drysdale allowed play to continue.Craddock was found in space on the left wing, he cut inside and fired a powerful shot, which Warrington saved at his near post. Nicky Law, who impressed in a central midfield role, could have added a third for the Millers after 53 minutes.He timed his run into the box to perfection and connected with Brogan's pinpoint cross, but his header went wide of Clarke's right hand post. The Millers began to dominate the game and, after a fantastic build-up involving Coid, Marshall and Le Fondre, Ryan Taylor curled just wide from 20 yards on the hour mark.Bradley fed Brogan on 66 minutes, and only a smart stop from Clarke prevented the Millers extending their lead.A minute later, Law struck a powerful shot inches wide from the edge of the area. Oxford pressed in search of a leveller, but the closest they came was through a Paul Wotton strike from distance that Warrington tipped over the crossbar.Le Fondre almost secured his hat trick in the 87th minute, but neither he nor man-of-the-match Marshall could scramble the ball home. Rotherham United: Warrington; Coid, Cresswell (Ashworth HT), Fenton, Newey, Marshall, Law, Bradley, Brogan (Ellison 71), R. Taylor (Elliott 84), Le Fondre. Subs not used: J. Taylor, Warne, Harrison, Annerson. Oxford United: Clarke; Tonkin, Clist, Potter (Constable 62), Worley, Purkiss, Wotton, Payne (Heslop 57), Craddock (Green 70), Futcher, MacLean. Subs not used: Batt, Hall, Eastwood, Franks. Att: 3,891 (481).  

    Latest Match Reports