Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Oct 10 at 17:01 PM

Rotherham 3 v 4 Wycombe - Report

Rotherham United fell to their first home defeat of the season after a controversial 4-3 defeat against Wycombe Wanderers. The Millers had fought back from 2-0 down after goals by Adam Le Fondre and Jason Taylor, and then levelled again through a Le Fondre penalty in the second half to make it 3-3. Then came the controversy. Johnny Mullins appeared to win the ball when challenging Kevin Betsy in the area but referee Mr. Quinn gave a spot kick which was converted by Scott Rendell. Ronnie Moore initially named an unchanged side for the visit of Wycombe Wanderers, but Ryan Cresswell pulled out with a back injury during the warm-up and was replaced by Luke Ashworth, who made his full league debut.Tom Newey captained the Millers in the absence of Cresswell. The Millers had the first chance of the game in the pouring rain at Don Valley Stadium after eight minutes.Mullins delivered a curling cross from the right which Kevin Ellison stretched to connect with.His volley sailed narrowly over Nikki Bull's crossbar, but the Millers appealed for a penalty after Ellison appeared to be pulled back as he shot.Referee Quinn signalled for a goal kick, and within 30 seconds the Millers were behind.Wycombe pumped a hopeful ball into the penalty area, and indecision in the Millers defence proved costly.The ball rebounded off Mullins and into the path of Betsy, who had the simple task of side-footing past a sprawling Andy Warrington to give the visitors the lead. Mullins was again involved on 17 minutes when another inviting cross from the right presented an opportunity to Le Fondre to level the scores.Chris Westwood missed a near post interception but Le Fondre fired wide from six yards. Wycombe reacted well to almost conceding an equaliser and immediately went up the other end and doubled their lead inside 20 minutes.Matt Bloomfield sailed past a challenge from Mark Bradley on the edge of the Millers' penalty area and was allowed to fire into the top corner unchallenged from 18 yards. On 23 minutes Le Fondre pulled one back for the Millers with a neat finish from the edge of the penalty area.Mullins fed Tom Pope, who played in Le Fondre with a clever flick, and the Millers' top scorer slotted past Bull. The Millers came close to an equaliser on 25 minutes after Jason Taylor won a free kick 20 yards out.Nicky Law curled a right-footed effort over the wall, but Bull tipped wide at full stretch. Rotherham improved after pulling a goal back and equaliser after 39 minutes.A free kick next to the corner flag was pulled back to an unmarked Jason Taylor, who took one touch to control and with his second smashed the ball through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner past an unsighted Bull.He almost gave the Millers the lead a minute later, but his shot from a similar distance was saved to the keeper's right. The Millers were rampant and Law missed a glorious chance to complete the comeback three minutes before half time.A quick free kick fed Le Fondre, who squared to an unmarked Law, who somehow shot wide from six yards when he should have done better. Rotherham were made to pay as Wycombe, against the run of play, took the lead in first half stoppage time.With the Millers down to ten men with Ashworth receiving treatment for a head injury, the visitors attacked quickly on the counter.After Betsy's shot was blocked, Ben Strevens curled a superb strike into the top corner from 20 yards to complete an enthralling first half. Half time: Rotherham United 2 v 3 Wycombe Wanderers After a scrappy start to the second half the Millers had a half chance on 53 minutes. Law's corner wasn't cleared allowing Pope a sight of goal but his instant shot was comfortably held by Bull. Wycombe responded on 56 minutes when Betsy was allowed to meander from the wing to the edge of the area, but Exodus Geohaghon just did enough to put off the winger in the nick of time and his shot cannoned off a defender. A minute later the Millers were given a lifeline. A long ball forward was headed down for Bloomfield who charged past Bradley before striking an effort from a tight angle across Warrington but off the inside of the post, before rebounding to safety. The Millers capitalised on their good fortune on 69 minutes. Geohaghon was climbed on in the penalty area by Westwood leaving referee Quinn no option but to point to the spot. Le Fondre stepped up and was once again reliable from 12 yards drilling the ball low into the net sending Bull the wrong way. Rotherham almost went in front straight after. Le Fondre was again instrumental in playing Pope in behind, with the angle against him he rounded Bull before pulling the ball back into the six yard area but there were no red shirts waiting for a tap-in. The Millers now sensed three points were there for the taking and stepped up their efforts. Sub Marcus Marshall received the ball from Pope before taking on his man and charging towards goal but when he let loose with a shot it was brilliantly blocked by Andy Sandell. From the resulting corner the Millers worked a similar routine to the one that brought their second goal in the first half. The ball found Jason Taylor who rifled his shot goalwards but Bull made the save, and got up to stop the rebound from Mullins. Moments later referee Quinn gave a spot kick to the Chairboys when Betsy was upended by Mullins. The right back clearly won the ball but despite fierce protests and a long discussion with the linesman he wouldn't change his mind. Scott Rendell sent Warrington the wrong way to coolly convert from 12 yards. Rotherham United: Warrington; Mullins, Ashworth, Geohaghon, Newey c, Law (Marshall 60), Bradley (Harrison 60), J. Taylor, Ellison, Pope (R.Taylor 80), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Green, Warne, Marshall, Elliott, Annerson. Wycombe Wanderers: Bull; Foster, Sandell, Bennett, Ainsworth (Rendell 74), Bloomfield (Davies 61), Betsy, Strevens, Montrose, Bevan, Westwood. Subs not used: Arnold, Winfield, Murtagh, McCoy, McClure. Attendance: 3,651 (215).

    Latest Match Reports