Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 19 May 10 at 21:40 PM

Rotherham 2 v 0 Aldershot - Report

Rotherham United booked their place at Wembley for the League Two Play-Off Final after a deserved 2-0 victory over Aldershot Town. A 30th goal of the season by Adam Le Fondre just before the break got the Millers on their way, followed by a Kevin Ellison header in the second half to seal a 3-0 aggregate win. Ronnie Moore named an unchanged side from the team that earned a first leg lead at Aldershot on Saturday. Neither side settled well in a scrappy opening period, but the Millers had the first attempt of the game when the ball dropped on the edge of the Aldershot area.Danny Harrison was quickest to react, but his half volley sailed over the crossbar. The Millers had a scare on 10 minutes when Dean Morgan raced onto a through ball.He beat Andy Warrington to the ball, knocked it around the Millers 'keeper and went to ground.The Shots appealed for a penalty, but referee Fred Graham stopped play and cautioned Morgan for simulation. Dean Morgan was in the action again minutes later when he was found by a precise pass from Scott Donnelly.He had the space to turn, but with time to do better he fired well over Warrington's crossbar. Rotherham responded well and came close again through Kevin Ellison.In a tight space, Nicky Law found time to dig out a deep cross to Ellison, who rose well but couldn't direct his header on target. On 32 minutes Ryan Taylor played a long diagonal pass to Adam Le Fondre who was unlucky to see his cross/shot from the right deflect off the top of the crossbar. The Millers took the lead just three minutes before the break. A corner by Law deep to the back post was kept in play brilliantly by Ian Sharps, he nodded the ball back to Le Fondre who was lurking in the six yard box and he simply glanced home from three yards out. Brilliant play by Taylor two minutes later almost created another when after a one-two with Le Fondre, his deep cross to the back post was deflected wide with Millers players rushing in. Half time Rotherham United 1 v 0 Aldershot Town Taylor was causing problems again at the start of the second half when his surging run down the right resulted in a shot which was well parried by Jaimez-Ruiz. The Millers almost broke through again when Le Fondre sent Law sprinting down the right; his centre went right across the six yard box, just eluding Taylor and Ellison who came in at the back post. On 63 minutes Pablo Mills made a great run from inside his own half deep into Aldershot territory. He laid the ball into the path of Le Fondre who jinked his way into the area but his shot took a deflection and flew over the bar. The Shots came close to a leveller when a cross from the right wasn't dealt with by the Millers defence but Dean Morgan couldn't convert from a tight angle at the back post. The Millers then added a crucial second goal on 68 minutes. Great work by Law resulted in a pinpoint cross to the back post and Ellison ran in unmarked to head the ball into the top corner from six yards out. With 10 minutes remaining Warrington was forced to make a sprawling stop from Aaron Brown, and seconds later Gavin Gunning was called into action to head the reteun cross away from goal. The referee blew for full time to send the majority of the 7,082 fans delirious, the biggest attendance for a Rotherham United match at Don Valley. Full time Rotherham United 2 v 0 Aldershot Town Rotherham United: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps c, Fenton, Gunning, Law (Warne 83), Harrison, Mills, Ellison, Taylor (Broughton 73), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Green, Marshall, Walker, Bell-Baggie. Aldershot Town: Jaimez-Ruiz; Herd, Straker, Brown, Charles (Spencer 74), M. Morgan, Halls, Donnelly, Jackson (Hudson 58), D. Morgan, Winfield. Subs not used: Soares, Hylton, Harding, Spencer, Connolly, Clement. Att: 7,082 (Away 707).     The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports