Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 02 Feb 10 at 23:21 PM

Rotherham 1 v 3 Bournemouth - Report

A second-half comeback from Bournemouth summoned Rotherham United to their second home defeat of the season, despite leading at half-time. Tom Pope claimed his second goal in as many games to put the Millers in front, but Brett Pitman and Danny Hollands (2) struck after the break to send the points back to the south coast. Ronnie Moore kept the same eleven that claimed all three points at Chesterfield a week ago, as the Millers braved the conditions for the League 2 encounter, although there was a place on the bench, for new loan signing Jonathan Lund. It was clear from the off where the opposition's threat would come from, as the lively Pitman carved out two early chances. First of all on two minutes, his volley was deflected wide after Fletcher's knockdown, before he capitalised on some miscommunication at the back to pounce on a long ball, but his shot was saved by the legs of Andy Warrington. The Millers struggled in the early exchanges, and were almost caught out on twenty minutes, but Josh McQuoid's dipping volley was just too high to trouble Warrington. Some quick thinking by Pope and Adam Le Fondre, won the Millers a corner, and it could have resulted in a penalty. Nicky Law's cross was flicked on by Pope and Le Fondre's header inside the six yard box appeared to strike a Bournemouth hand, but the referee waved away the protests much to the dismay of the home supporters. Rotherham began to pile on the pressure, and on 25 minutes, it eventually paid off. Marc Joseph's cross was met by Pope who got across his defender to power a header past the flailing Shwan Jalal, and put the Millers into a 1-0 lead. Micky Cummins and Kevin Ellison both fired over from the edge of the area, before Warrington was required to tip Pitman's 25 yard strike around the post. Just four minutes before the break, he was called into action once again, when Lee Bradbury struck from 18 yards but the Millers 'keeper got down quick to hold the shot. Half-Time: Millers 1-0 Bournemouth The Millers were dealt a heavy blow within a minute of the second half. Pitman again the source of the danger, getting the better of Pablo Mills on the right hand side before lofting the ball over the onrushing Warrington to level the scores. The Millers almost hit back immediately, through Cummins. When Law broke from in his own half, he found space on the left where he swung a cross into the near post, but Cummins header was saved by Jalal. Jalal was almost caught out moments later, back pedalling to eventually tip over Gavin Gunning's dipping 30 yard effort. From the resulting corner Pope and Ian Sharps both had headers cleared off the line before Mills volleyed over from the angle. As the Millers pushed for a second goal, they were hit again at the back. Cherries left back Rhoys Wiggins was allowed tine to cross on the left, and when it wasn't properly cleared, Danny Hollands picked up the ball and rifled a shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards. It put an end to the Millers pressure, and on 68 minutes the visiting side sealed it. Pitman headed McQuoid's corner down for Hollands to poke home from inside the six yard box. Pope almost got a second when he flicked a long throw towards goal, but it was comfortable in the end for Jalal. Le Fondre then hit the post from Law's corner after Ellison flicked on before substitute Dale Tonge cut inside and shot over on his return from injury. It was a disappointing result in the end for the Millers who had taken great confidence from the results against Grimsby and Chesterfield. Millers: Warrington, Joseph (Tonge 72), Sharps, Mills, Gunning, Law (Marshall 77), Roberts, Cummins, Ellison (Taylor 77), Pope, Le Fondre. Unused: Lund, Broughton, Fenton, Harrison. Bournemouth: Jalal, Bradbury, Garry, Pearce, Wiggins, Hollands, Robinson, McQuoid (Connell 90), Feeney (Goulding 90), Pitman, Fletcher Unused: Thomas, Tindall. Report: Ben Shepherd   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports