Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 02 Mar 10 at 21:42 PM

Rochdale 4 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United were comprehensively beaten 4-0 by table-topping Rochdale at Spotland. Goals from Chris Dagnall, Craig Dawson, Chris O'Grady and a Jamie Green own goal rounded off a miserable night for Ronnie Moore's men, who also lost captain Ian Sharps to injury in the first half. The Millers had the first chance of the game in the first minute after an error by Rory McArdle allowed Kevin Ellison a shot at goal, but the winger's effort from a tight angle went narrowly wide of Frank Fielding's post. Rochdale's first attack of the game then gave them the lead on nine minutes.Former Miller O'Grady made good progress down the right wing before crossing to strike partner Dagnall, who finished well from ten yards. The home side almost doubled their advantage a minute later.A free kick from Tom Kennedy was met by Dawson, whose header was well saved by Andy Warrington. Rotherham responded well, and a Tom Pope header from a Nicky Law corner and a Josh Walker shot from distance tested Fielding twice in quick succession after fifteen minutes.Two minutes later Ellison forced another save from 20 yards after a neat pass from Pope. The Millers suffered a blow on 23 minutes when they lost Sharps to what appeared to be a hamstring injury.Gavin Gunning moved inside to partner Nick Fenton, with Green introduced at left back. The last effort on goal in the first half came when Kennedy swung a free kick to the near post and forced Warrington to tip over at full stretch. Half time: Rochdale 1-0 Rotherham United Three minutes after the restart Danny Harrison struck a rasping volley from 20 yards, which was pushed wide by Fielding. Rochdale failed to clear the resulting corner and Adam Le Fondre had a header cleared off the line after Fielding misjudged Law's cross. The Millers were struck a severe blow on 64 minutes after Rochdale fortuitously added a second. The lively O'Grady skipped around Fenton and delivered a cross from the left wing. With only Dagnall in the penalty area the danger appeared to have passed, but Gunning sliced his clearance into his own goal off the shins of the unfortunate Green. Rochdale netted a third on 71 minutes through Dawson.O'Grady forced Lynch to concede a corner, and the defender rose highest to nod Kennedy's cross past Warrington's outstretched arms. Things got even worse for the Millers three minutes later when the home side made it 4-0.O'Grady got the goal his performance deserved after he was allowed to carry the ball into the penalty area unchallenged and calmly slot the ball into the bottom corner. O'Grady continued to terrorise the Rotherham defence and Will Atkinson almost added his name to the scoresheet after heading O'Grady's cross narrowly wide. With five minutes remaining Warrington made a fantastic double save to deny Gary Jones, who pulled the trigger from 25 yards, and then Dagnall, who looked certain to tap in the rebound.The Millers 'keeper then made another smart save at his near post to deny McArdle in stoppage time. Rochdale: Fielding; McArdle, Kennedy, Stanton, Kennedy, Jones, Toner, Atkinson, Dawson (Flynn 80), Dagnall, O'Grady. Subs not used: Arthur, Haworth, Flynn, Higginbotham, Obadeyi, Holness, Thompson. Rotherham United: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps (Green 23), Fenton, Gunning, Law, Harrison, Walker, Ellison (Taylor 66), Pope (Marshall 66), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Cummins, Joseph, Mills, Annerson. Att: 3,502   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust            

    Latest Match Reports