Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 19 Feb 10 at 22:09 PM

Rotherham United 1-1 Torquay United - Re

Rotherham United earned a hard-fought point against Torquay in a 1-1 draw at Don Valley. Danny Harrison gave the Millers the lead but Torquay's second half persistence paid off when Elliot Benyon earned the visitors a point on 85 minutes.Gary Roberts was sent off in stoppage time to cap off a frustrating night for the Millers. The visitors started brightly and forced a corner inside the first minute.Mark Ellis connected well with his head and forced a flying save from Andy Warrington to prevent the Millers getting off to the worst possible start. Torquay continued to push and captain Nicky Wroe tested Warrington again from the edge of the penalty area.Chris Zebroski's cross was only half cleared but Wroe scuffed his volley, allowing the Millers 'keeper to make a comfortable save. Less than a minute later Torquay were within a whisker of taking the lead, this time after an Ashley Barnes snap-shot was deflected just wide of Warrington's post. After the shaky start, the Millers soon began to dominate proceedings and hit the post with their first attack.Nicky Law's cross was only half cleared by Wroe and the ball fell to Roberts 25 yards from goal.Buoyed by his goal in his last outing at Lincoln, the midfielder struck a ferocious left-footed shot that cannoned back off the post with Scott Bevan well beaten. A minute later Rotherham hit the same post again.Adam Le Fondre's trickery inside the penalty forced an opening, and the striker's curling shot beat Bevan but not the post. With the visitors firmly on the back foot, the Millers deservedly took the lead on 20 minutes.Great work on the right by Law created space for a pin-point cross, which was bundled home at the far post by Harrison. Torquay pressed in search of an equaliser but the Millers weathered the storm and went into the break 1-0 in front, despite Gavin Gunning being stretchered off on 43 minutes. Half time: Rotherham United 1-0 Torquay United The second half started slowly with chances at a premium for both sides in difficult conditions.The Millers had the first attempt on goal when a well-worked free kick allowed Law to cross to Ian Sharps, but the captain's effort was pushed wide by Bevan. Barnes had another effort comfortably saved for Torquay before Le Fondre was put through on goal by an excellent pass by Roberts.The prolific striker ran through on goal and lifted his shot over Bevan, only to see it clip the top of the crossbar. On the hour Barnes had a terrific chance to equalise for the visitors when he volleyed over from 10 yards with only Warrington to beat. Torquay continued to press and with five minutes remaining were rewarded for their endeavour.A long throw from Chris Robertson was not dealt with, and when it bounced inside the six yard box substitute Benyon was on hand to tap in. Marc Joseph saw a header from a Stephen Brogan corner fly over the crossbar with three minutes remaining, and a frustrating evening was capped off when Roberts was dismissed after a late challenge to earn a second yellow card. Full time: Rotherham United 1-1 Torquay United Rotherham United: Warrington; Lynch, Fenton, Sharps c, Gunning (Joseph 43), Law, Harrison, Roberts, Ellison (Taylor 72), Pope (Brogan 82), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Marshall, Annerson, Cummins, Mills. Torquay United: Bevan; Ellis, Robertson, Mansell, Barnes, Wroe c, Thompson (Carayol 81), Zebroski, Branston, Camara (Rowe-Turner HT), Macklin (Benyon 72). Subs not used: Nicholson, Stevens, O'Kane, Searle.  

    Latest Match Reports