Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 09 at 17:58 PM

Rotherham 2 v 2 Luton - Report

Rotherham United will have their name in the hat but their place in the third round is yet to be decided after being held 2-2 at Don Valley by Luton Town. Adam Le Fondre and Stephen Brogan cancelled out Tom Craddock's penalty, but a goal by substitute Mark Nwokeji was enough to claim a draw for the Blue Square Premier side. Ronnie Moore was forced into two changes for the game with Brogan and Ryan Taylor replacing the injured Kevin Ellison, and cup-tied Adam Rundle. It was the returning Brogan who went close early on. His free-kick from all of 30 yards almost catching Kevin Pilkington unaware, but the ball went narrowly over. The Millers piled on the early pressure and went close again on five minutes when Tom Pope rose highest from Nicky Law's corner, but he couldn't get the necessary connection on the ball and it drifted wide. The lively Pope was in the thick of it again soon after, pouncing on a loose ball on the edge of the area, unfortunately his snapshot was just over before turning provider for Taylor who couldn't quite connect with the cross. Gary Roberts, making his second start for the Millers, showed encouraging signs early on, and his pinpoint ball to the left found Brogan whose right footed shot was comfortable for the experienced Pilkington. The Hatters took an unexpected lead on 19 minutes with their first meaningful attack. A breakaway resulted in Claude Gnapka receiving the ball on the right hand side of the area where he was brought down by Millers left-back Andy Nicholas. Craddock stepped up and sent Andy Warrington the wrong way and give the advantage to the Blue Square outfit. The Millers almost hit back immediately, Roberts again taking control of midfield and finding Taylor on the right. The forward came inside the defender but his resulting shot was deflected just wide. Ian Sharps had a header cleared off the line on the half hour, and Pope was flagged offside after Roberts had put him one-on-one with the goalkeeper. The fourth official indicated two additional minutes, and the Millers took advantage, when Taylor fed Pope on the right, he found space to cross into the area where Le Fondre was waiting to claim his second goal of the competition just seconds before half-time. Half time Rotherham United 1 v 1 Luton Town The Millers carried the momentum in the second half, and Sharps' header was deflected just wide from a Law corner. After a scrappy period following half-time the Millers took the lead just after the hour. Roberts' cross from the byline was headed home by Brogan on his return to the side. They almost made it 3-1 six minutes later when Taylor cut in from the right again, but his effort was blazed wide. On 73 minutes, an uncharacteristic error by the impressive Roberts gifted possession to the visitors, substitute Nwokeji was put through on goal and he beat Warrington to level the scores. The Millers then had a strong shout for a penalty as Law's cross appeared to be blocked by the arm of Alan White. Referee Tierney waved away the protests and the Millers had to settle for a corner. Rotherham had the final chance of the game when Le Fondre and Pope combined before laying off to Danny Harrison who shot wide from 18 yards. Three minutes were added on, but the Millers couldn't make the breakthrough, meaning that this second round tie will be decided at Kenilworth Road. Full time Rotherham United 2 v 2 Luton Town Rotherham: Warrington, Lynch, Sharps, Fenton, Nicholas, Taylor (Harrison 79), Law, Roberts, Brogan, Pope, Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Cummins, Green, Broughton, Joseph, Mills. Luton: K.Pilkington, Blackett, White, G.Pilkington, Murray, Nichols, Keane, Newton, Gnapka (Nwokeji 66), Gallen (Hall 90), Craddock (Howells 85). Subs not used: Gore, Jarvis, Asafu-Adjaye, Emanuel. Report: Ben Shepherd The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports