Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 May 10 at 21:16 PM

Hereford 3 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United ended the regular season with a 3-0 defeat at Hereford after goals by Mathieu Manset, Darren Jones and Marc Pugh ensured a comfortable win for the home side. The Millers, who will now face Aldershot Town in the play-offs, were second best but did rally in the second half creating a number of half chances, the best of which was a Kevin Ellison header from eight yards out. As expected Ronnie Moore made two changes with Danny Harrison and Drewe Broughton coming in for Adam Le Fondre and Josh Walker who were rested. Hereford took the lead with the first attack of the game on five minutes. Pugh worked enough space for a cross and found Manset, who beat Andy Warrington at his near post. The lead was doubled after 21 minutes through Darren Jones.Kenny Lunt found space on the right and crossed to the far post to the unmarked Jones, who headed past the exposed Warrington. The Millers tried to got a foothold in the game and had their first effort on target approaching the half-hour mark.Hereford failed to deal with a long ball forward and the ball dropped to Pablo Mills, who hit a half-volley straight at Adam Bartlett. The Bulls continued to press forward and could have added a third when Ryan Green curled a left-footed shot over the bar after a mazy run into the box by Pugh.Leon Constantine also shot over from the edge of the area moments before half time. On the stroke of the half time whistle Ian Sharps came within a whisker of halving the deficit when his header from Nicky Law's corner was cleared off the line. Half time Hereford United 2 v 0 Rotherham United The Millers should have been 3-0 down after just two minutes of the second half. Gavin McCallum made progress down the right before squaring the ball to Constantine, who unbelievably hit the post from eight yards out with the goal gaping. On 50 minutes Law carried the ball from halfway with a mazy run. He unleashed a shot from 25 yards which was only parried by Bartlett, but the 'keeper was up quickly to block Broughton's follow up from a tight angle. Three minutes later the Millers created another opening. A quick throw by Lynch found Law whose cross to the back post was headed wide by Ellison, when he was well placed to do better. Rotherham kept up the momentum with Gavin Gunning left looking frustrated on 61 minutes when his teasing centre flashed across the six yard box, just eluding everyone in blue. Manset nearly doubled his tally for the game when McCallum's cross from the left deceived Nick Fenton, but his acrobatic attempt went harmlessly wide. On 71 minutes a deep cross to the back post by Ellison found Fenton lurking but the defender could only glance his header wide of the post. Warrington pulled off a fantastic fingertip save in the 86th minute after a ferocious drive by Manset from just inside the area. In the 90th minute Pugh capped a good home performance after a surging run across the area before sliding the ball beyond Warrington. Full time Hereford United 3 v 0 Rotherham United Hereford United: Bartlett; Green, Rose, D. Jones, Valentine, McQuilkin, Lunt, Pugh, Manset, McCallum, Constantine. Subs not used: Lowe, Sonko, Gwynne, Edwards, C. Jones, Weir, Done. Rotherham United: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps, Fenton, Gunning, Law (Bell-Baggie 79), Harrison, Mills (Cummins 69), Ellison, Marshall, Broughton (Warne 69). Subs not used: Green, Brogan, McAllister, Annerson. Att: 3,005 (620).   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports