Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Apr 10 at 21:42 PM

Barnet 0 v 1 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United recorded a well-deserved 1-0 victory at League Two strugglers Barnet to strengthen their claims for a play off spot. Kevin Ellison's first half free kick proved the difference, but the Millers dominated the game and could easily have won more comfortably. After two minutes it was Pablo Mills who had the first effort of the game. The ball broke kindly to Mills on the edge of the area but his rasping drive was off target and well wide of Jake Cole's near post. On 17 minutes a corner from Josh Walker was flicked on by Nick Fenton but after a scramble in the area Marcus Marshall couldn't find the room necessary to shoot for goal. The Millers came agonizingly close to opening to scoring on 21 minutes. Adam Le Fondre was brought down 25 yards out with the resulting free kick taken by Walker. The Middlesbrough loanee curled a pinpoint effort to Cole's right but with the 'keeper beaten Walker was denied by the inside of the post. After a scrappy 15 minutes of play the Millers took a deserved lead on 35 minutes. A harmless looking free kick tight to the right touchline by Ellison deceived everyone and went straight into the corner of Cole's net, much to the delight of the surprised Millers winger. In stoppage time the Millers lost Walker to injury, with Abdulai Bell-Baggie coming on to replace him. Half time: Barnet 0-1 Rotherham United The Millers had the first attempt on goal of the second half courtesy of Gavin Gunning.Bell-Baggie was fouled on the right and from Nicky Law's free kick, Gunning rose well but headed wide of Cole's post. Two minutes later Le Fondre came close again.Ellison's penetrating run and pass found the Millers marksman, who cut inside and curled an effort at goal.Cole should have made a comfortable save, but he almost dropped it into his own net, eventually claiming the ball at the second attempt. With 20 minutes remaining Rotherham again rattled the woodwork.A clever pass from Le Fondre set Ellison through, but the Millers goalscorer smashed a right-footed effort against the post. The Millers should really have enjoyed a more comfortable lead going into the closing stages, and came close yet again on 85 minutes.Law picked the ball up on the left wing, cut inside and laid the ball into the path of Mills.He shot left-footed first time but his curling effort landed on the roof of the net. Barnet came close to undeserved equaliser with stoppage time looming.Mills conceded a free kick on the edge of his area, and John O'Flynn curled an effort narrowly over the bar. In the final minute of added time, Law drilled wide from 12 yards after the Bees failed to clear a Paul Warne cross. Barnet: Cole; Devera (O'Neill 86), Gillet, Breen, Lockwood, Hughes (Upson 56), Hyde, Jarrett (Leach 69), Adomah, O'Flynn, Furlong. Subs not used: Deverdics, James, Carpenter, Livermore. Rotherham: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps, Fenton, Gunning, Law, Walker (Bell-Baggie 45) (Cummins 73), Mills, Ellison, Marshall (Warne 90), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Green, McAllister, Haggerty. Att: 1,884 (316).   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports