Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Apr 10 at 20:58 PM

Morecambe 2 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United failed to halt their losing run after two second half goals from Phil Jevons and Simon Hackney secured a 2-0 win for Morecambe. The Millers best spell came 20 minutes before the break but after two goals in quick succession round the hour mark there was no way back for Ronnie Moore's troops. Moore made two changes to the side that lost at Aldershot on Easter Monday, with Mark Lynch and Drewe Broughton returning to replace Craig McAllister and the fatigued Gavin Gunning. Morecambe enjoyed most of the possession in the opening stages, but the Millers had the first attempt on goal on eight minutes courtesy of Adam Le Fondre.Pablo Mills carried the ball out of defence and released Le Fondre, who cut inside and saw his curling shot saved by Barry Roche. The home side responded well and created their first chance of the game on 12 minutes.Winger Mark Duffy crossed to Paul Mullin, but the striker headed wide from 10 yards when well-placed to do better. Two minutes later Andy Warrington was tested again.A long throw into the penalty area was only half cleared and Hackney struck on the volley from 20 yards, but the ball took a kind deflected as it travelled through a crowd of bodies and the Millers 'keeper made a comfortable save. The home side continued to press and firmly penned the Millers inside their own half.Jevons played the ball into the path of Craig Stanley but the midfield workhorse fired wide from 20 yards. The Millers' next chance came just before the half hour, when neat build-up play in midfield allowed Nick Fenton to cross to Broughton, but the target man's header was weak and easily saved. Rotherham came close to snatching a breakaway goal after 35 minutes.A Morecambe attack broke down and the ball was cleared to Le Fondre, who carried the ball for 40 yards before unleashing a powerful shot that stung the palms of Roche. Half time Morecambe 0 - 0 Rotherham United Le Fondre again looked menacing at the start of the second half. A diagonal pass found the Millers marksman in space on the left wing, he cut inside to shoot low but Roche was equal to it. On 56 minutes Laurence Wilson crossed from deep and Mullin rose to head goalwards but Warrington was on hand to tip over. A minute later and the home side were in front. A dangerous cross from the right from Duffy went straight across the Millers six yard box and Jevons was on hand to bundle over the line to beat a stranded Warrington. Then it was two with the home side's next attack. Again it was Duffy down the right who crossed and Hackney darted to the near post to nod past Warrington and into the corner. Ronnie Moore responded with a double change with Nicky Law and Jamie Green both introduced and it was Law who immediately made an impact with a driving run from deep, but his low drive from inside the area hit the side netting. Le Fondre kept trying his luck and he worked 'keeper Roche again in the 77th minute with a fierce drive from 20 yards out which was tipped over. On 79 minutes a Law cross was flicked on by Le Fondre to find Marshall whose header from eight yards was straight at Roche. Full time Morecambe 2 - 0 Rotherham United Morecambe: Roche; Bentley (Artell ht), Stanley, Hackney, Jevons, Drummond, Duffy (Hunter 74), Wilson, Mullin, Parrish (Moss 90), Haining. Subs not used: Davies, Curtis, Wainwright, Panther. Rotherham United: Warrington; Fenton, Lynch (Green 61), Mills, Sharps, Bell-Baggie (Law 60), Marshall, Harrison, Walker, Broughton (Ellison 78), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Cummins, Warne, McAllister. Att: 2337 (498). The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust  

    Latest Match Reports