Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Mar 10 at 17:52 PM

Rotherham 1 v 0 Bury - Report

Rotherham United got back to winning ways thanks to a stunning strike from Josh Walker. The game appeared to be heading towards a draw at Don Valley before Walker's winner 10 minutes from time. Ronnie Moore made three changes to the side that was beaten at Accrington in midweek, with Dale Tonge and Gavin Gunning both being brought back into the side at full-back, as well as the fit again Nicky Law, replacing Kevin Ellison who missed out through illness. Law, beginning on the left, created the first chance of the game. He found his way into the box and squared for Adam Le Fondre, but his shot was comfortably held by Wayne Brown in the Bury goal. Marcus Marshall making his first start at Don Valley soon endeared himself to the home faithful with a marauding run which resulted in a blocked effort from the edge of the area. On seven minutes new Shakers signing Keigan Parker broke into the box, rounded Andy Warrington and put the ball into the back of the net, only to see his effort ruled out for offside. Ian Sharps almost put the Millers in front soon after. Law's corner bounced around in the area, and when it eventually fell to the Millers skipper five yards out, his volley was put over the bar. Walker had a shot from distance saved before a goalmouth scramble ended with Le Fondre's mis-hit eventually being blocked; and Bury were able to clear. The Millers lost Nick Fenton midway through the first half, and the Shakers soon had their best chance of the half. A corner from the left was glanced wide by Efe Sodje. Then just before the half-hour, Tom Newey's deep cross was met by the head of Tom Elliott, but it sailed over Warrington's crossbar. Parker pulled back a cross at the far post ten minutes before half-time, and as Elliott appeared poised to put the visitors ahead, Sharps dived in to divert the ball away from danger. Half-time Rotherham United 0 v 0 Bury It was the home side who started the second half brighter, and spurned a wonderful chance early on. Le Fondre got the better of Sodje on the left, before sprinting into the box, but a lack of options meant Bury were able to clear. Marshall then tested the goalkeeper when he cut in and struck with his left foot, forcing Brown to tip the ball wide at full-stretch. Former Miller Ryan Cresswell was introduced for the visitors and as the Millers continued to pile on the pressure with a succession of corner kicks which culminated in Gunning volleying over from 20 yards. A clever move on the edge of the Bury box brought the Millers next chance on 71 minutes. McAllister, Law and Harrison all combined to find Marshall, and when he was eventually crowded out, Le Fondre's reaction shot floated wide of Brown's right-hand post. Substitute Abdulai Bell-Baggie on his home debut was looking to cause problems and his turn in midfield almost carved out a chance for Le Fondre. However it was the impressive Marshall who was really catching the eye. Some neat footwork on the left led to him crossing for Harrison, and when he laid off for Walker, the 'Boro loanee turned onto his left foot and fired the ball into the bottom corner from 18 yards, with just ten minutes remaining. Two minutes into the three added on, Andy Morrell joined the attack and saw his header clip the top of the crossbar, before referee Mr Dunn brought proceedings to a close, giving the Millers a vital three points in their quest for the top three. Full-time: Rotherham United 1 v 0 Bury Millers: Warrington, Tonge, Sharps, Fenton (Mills 21), Gunning, Marshall (Broughton 90), Harrison, Walker, Law (Bell-Baggie 75), McAllister, Le Fondre Unused: Annerson, Lynch, Roberts, Pope. Bury: Brown, Buchanan, Futcher, Sodje (Cresswell 54), Newey, Worrall, Barry-Murphy, Dawson, Jones (Racchi 65), Elliot, Parker (Morrell 73). Unused: Scott, Hewson , Bishop, Belford.   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust  

    Latest Match Reports