Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Mar 10 at 21:39 PM

Dag & Red 0 v 1 Rotherham United - Repor

Rotherham United triumphed 1-0 against Dagenham & Redbridge thanks to a second half poacher's effort from Adam Le Fondre. The visitors produced a professional performance and withstood second half pressure from the Daggers to claim a vital three points at Victoria Road. After a quiet start it was the Daggers who threatened first on nine minutes. A teasing cross to the back post by Graeme Montgomery found Josh Scott but Ian Sharps came across to make a crucial sliding challenge before the Daggers striker could pull the trigger. Marcus Marshall, making his first Millers start, showed a glimpse of his talent with a neat turn 25 yards from goal, he played Le Fondre in behind but the front man's cross was cleared for a corner by the Daggers defence. On 26 minutes Danny Green tested the Millers back four with a free kick. Scott rose above the Millers defence but he planted his header a yard wide of Andy Warrington's far post. Neat interplay by the Millers on 33 minutes produced a goal scoring chance. Craig McAllister, on his debut, played the ball into Kevin Ellison who slid a first time pass to Josh Walker, but his scuffed effort from just inside the area was easily turned around the post by Tony Roberts. Walker was instrumental in creating a half chance for Le Fondre on 37 minutes when his raking pass found the forward in a yard of space, but he slammed his effort from 25 yards high and wide of the near post. The home side almost took the lead just before the break. Nick Fenton dragged back Scott 25 yards from goal with the defender also going into referee Mr. Linington's notebook. Damien McCrory took the resulting set piece but his curling effort whistled just past Warrington's near post. Half time Dagenham and Redbridge 0 v 0 Rotherham United Walker had the first effort of the second half for the Millers, but he scuffed his shot from 20 yards after a neat lay-off by Marshall. The Millers took the lead on the hour when Le Fondre bundled the ball home from six yards.Marshall cut the ball back to Fenton, who miss-kicked to McAllister, and after the debutant's shot from 10 yards was saved on the line by Roberts, Le Fondre was on hand to tap home in front of the visiting supporters. The home side responded well and gave the Millers a scare four minutes later when Paul Benson flicked a cross onto the roof of the net with 'keeper Warrington stranded. Less than a minute after being introduced as a substitute Phil Walsh came close again for the Daggers.Tricky winger Green found space on the right after shaking off Lynch and his deep cross was headed just over the bar by Walsh.The Millers struggled the clear their lines and the same combination caused problems again soon after, but Walsh's first touch let him down eight yards from goal. The home side continued to press forward in search of an equaliser and captain Mark Arber forced a smart save from Warrington after rising highest from a Green corner. The Daggers' efforts proved fruitless after a strong rearguard performance from the Millers in the closing stages, and the visitors deservedly left with all three points. Full time Dagenham and Redbridge 0 v 1 Rotherham United Att: 1,862 (250) Dagenham and Redbridge: Roberts; McCrory, Doe, Folly, Arber, Green, Scott, Benson, Agogo, Montgomery (Currie 57), Pack (Walsh 75). Subs not used: Lewington, Nurse, Uddin, Vincelot, Bingham. Rotherham: Warrington; Lynch (Tonge 84), Joseph, Sharps, Fenton, Marshall, Ellison (Mills 81), Harrison, Walker, McAllister (Pope 90), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Roberts, Taylor, Bell-Baggie.   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust  

    Latest Match Reports