Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 at 21:43 PM

Shrewsbury 2 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United are still waiting for their first win at the New Meadow, after a Waide Fairhurst strike in the first half and a James Devitt goal in the second gave play-off chasing Shrewsbury a 2-0 win. Fairhurst, currently on loan from Doncaster Rovers, pounced just before the interval when after receiving the ball in space he thumped home a shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner. With time ticking away Devitt struck low into the corner via a deflection off Nick Fenton to seal the win and cap a miserable night for the Millers. Coming into the game Ronnie Moore made two changes from the side that drew 2-2 with Luton on Saturday. In came the fit again Kevin Ellison and on loan Adam Rundle for Stephen Brogan and Ryan Taylor who both dropped to the bench. Shrewsbury started brightly and had their first effort on goal inside 10 seconds.The ball came to ex-Miller David Hibbert 20 yards out, but the front man's shot was weak and comfortably saved by Andy Warrington. In very difficult conditions both sides struggled to keep possession, until on 12 minutes the home side had their next effort on goal.After some neat interplay between the front two, Fairhurst cut inside off the left wing and shot from distance, but his effort was five yards wide of Warrington's near post. On the half hour the Shrews were gifted an opportunity to take the lead.A looping ball into the area was cleared, only for the referee to point to the spot for a foul on Graham Coughlan by Ian Sharps.Hibbert took the responsibility against his old club, but Warrington ensured the Millers escaped with an outstanding save to his left.The ball spilled into the six yard area and an outstanding challenge from Tom Pope finally cleared the danger. The Millers responded well and created their first chance of the game immediately after.A clever back-heel played in the fit-again Ellison, but the winger's shot from a narrow angle was deflected behind for a corner.The visitors came close again from Ellison's corner, with Sharps rising well at the near post to head just wide. Two minutes before half time Shrewsbury took the lead that their persistence deserved.Fairhurst drifted inside and received the ball unmarked 25 yards from goal.He was allowed to turn unchallenged before striking a powerful right-footed shot past the sprawling Warrington. Half time: Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Rotherham United At the start of the second half the Millers had Sharps to thank for keeping the score down to one. The dangerous Fairhurst whipped in a cross which was flicked goalward by Hibbert but Sharps was there to hook clear in the nick of time. In the 50th minute the Millers came agonisingly close to equalising. Gary Roberts laid the ball into the path of Rundle whose strike from 18 yards took a deflection then hit the top of the crossbar. On 57 minutes the Millers were awarded a free kick just right of centre after Pope was hauled to the floor. Ellison took the kick from 25 yards but blazed over David Button's crossbar. With 12 minutes remaining it was Ellison again looking for goal, this time shooting from open play but his fierce drive was a foot over the bar. The home side sealed the win with two minutes remaining. Devitt was found by sub Nathan Elder on the edge of the area, he took aim but dragged his shot only for it to cannon off the boot of Fenton and squirm past Warrington low to the 'keeper's right. Full time Shrewsbury Town 2 - 0 Rotherham United Shrewsbury Town: Button; Holden, Coughlan c, Dunfield, Langmead, Hibbert (Elder 80), Murray (Leslie 90), Cansdell-Sherriff, Devitt, Fairhurst (Robinson 90), McIntyre. Subs not used: Riza, Hooman, Simpson, Arestidou. Rotherham United: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps c, Fenton, Nicholas (Brogan 82), Rundle (Harrison 67), Roberts, Law, Ellison (Broughton 82), Le Fondre, Pope. Subs not used: Joseph, Taylor, Mills, Annerson. Att: 4,522 (184)   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports