Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Nov 09 at 17:01 PM

Torquay 0 v 2 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United made it three straight away wins after late goals by Kevin Ellison and Adam Le Fondre secured a 2-0 win over Torquay United at Plainmoor. The game seemed to be drifting to a 0-0 draw until Ellison pounced following a save by Gulls 'keeper Michael Poke to put the Millers in front. Then Le Fondre added a second in injury time to send the hearty band of 288 Millers fans delirious and keep Rotherham within touching distance of the top three. Ronnie Moore made two changes to his team following the win at Port Vale. Mark Lynch replaced the injured Dale Tonge at right back and Ryan Taylor came in for Drewe Broughton in attack. In atrocious weather conditions in which both sides had to contend with gales and heavy rain it was the home side who adapted the quickest. On 16 minutes a shot by Tyrone Thompson had Millers 'keeper Andy Warrington scrambling across his goal line but the ball flew past the post. On 24 minutes the lethal Le Fondre threatened the Gulls defence. A ball forward by Andy Nicholas found the striker in space but after being hampered by the surface water he could only scuff a weak shot goalwards, which was easily saved by Poke. The Millers lost Paul Warne to injury following a challenge by Torquay debutant Adam Smith, giving Stephen Brogan another opportunity to impress. Rotherham came agonisingly close to opening the scoring on 39 minutes after a helping hand from the referee Andy Hall. After a Torquay clearance hit the official the ball re-bounded to Nicky Law. The Millers midfield maestro then fed a pass to Le Fondre whose 20-yard daisy cutter just eluded Poke's right post. Half time Torquay United 0 v 0 Rotherham United Rotherham made a good start to the second 45 and had the best chance of the game in the first minute. A corner by Law was dropped by Poke straight to Le Fondre but the 'keeper made amends with a brilliant block and then saved the re-bounded strike from Brogan. The home teams' first chance of the half came on 54 minutes when a 60 yard long ball forward from Mark Ellis found the head of Tim Sills but Warrington was on hand to tip over at full stretch. Just after the hour mark Ronnie Moore gave new signing Gary Roberts his debut with the midfielder coming on to replace Pablo Mills. The Millers had Warrington to thank for keeping the scores level when he made a two terrific saves in the 67th minute. Chris Zebroski crossed for sub Jake Thomson whose shot was smuggled clear and then Nicky Wroe's centre found Thomson again but his header was well saved by Warrington low down. With six minutes remaining an angled pass by Roberts found the head of Nick Fenton who headed across goal to Le Fondre. His header was saved by the feet of Poke, but the re-bound fell to Ellison who drilled in from close range. Torquay then won a free kick in the 87th minute, right of centre 22 yards out. Wayne Carlisle stepped up and curled his shot goalwards but it crashed against the bar and fell to safety. Rotherham added a second in injury time when sub Tom Pope flicked on for Le Fondre who raced clear of the Gulls defence to loop the ball over Poke and into the net. Full time Torquay United 0 v 2 Rotherham United Torquay: Poke; Ellis, Robertson, Mansell, Sills (Rendell 85), Benyon (Thomson 61), Wroe, Thompson, Carlisle (Stevens 90), Smith, Zebroski. Subs not used: Bevan, Nicholson, Williams, Todd. Rotherham: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps, Fenton, Nicholas, Warne (Brogan 28), Mills (Roberts 62), Law, Ellison, Taylor (Pope 77), Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Harrison, Joseph, Broughton. Attendance: 2551 (288)   The Millers Match report is brought to you in association with The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

    Latest Match Reports