Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Oct 09 at 17:55 PM

Rotherham 0 v 0 Aldershot - Report

Ronnie Moore's quest for a home victory continues after the Millers were held 0-0 for a second successive time. Despite having the lion's share of possession, they were unable to break down the visitors and had to settle for a point against Jason Dodd's Aldershot. Ronnie Moore was forced into two changes for the visit of managerless Aldershot, with Paul Warne and Nick Fenton replacing the injured Micky Cummins and Nicky Law, who hasn't trained all week with the 'flu. Pablo Mills reverted back to midfield, and Warne was given license to roam in a flexible 4-3-3 formation. It was the visitors who had the first chance within a minute, John Grant fed Andy Sandell who found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but was denied by a Mills tackle. The Millers soon came back into the game, and some quick thinking by Warne at a throw-in found Tom Pope in the area, who wriggled his way past Anthony Charles, and cut-back for Warne whose effort was blocked six yards out. Andy Nicholas had the first of two headers on 10 minutes, this one caught by Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz after it just escaped a touch from Adam Le Fondre. At the other end, Grant got between the Millers centre-halves but his effort was rushed, allowing Andy Warrington to watch it wide. Warne put two balls into the area that tested the Shots' defence, the first one was met by Pope, but his effort was deflected over, and the second one was eventually dealt with by the goalkeeper, but his clearance left Millers captain Ian Sharps requiring treatment on the pitch. The final chance of the half came just before half-time, after some good work on the right by Le Fondre had won Rotherham a corner. Kevin Ellison's inswinging delivery was flicked over the bar by the head of Pope, before referee Mr Booth brought the half to a close. Half time: Millers 0-0 Aldershot The Millers reverted back to 4-4-2 for the second half, but the game failed to open up, with both sides struggling to create any clear cut chances. The first opportunity of the half fell to Danny Harrison on the edge of the area, but his left-footed attempt was deflected wide. Warne's switch out wide almost paid off just before the hour, his new found freedom on the right hand side being utilised more by the team, and after a marauding run he played Dale Tonge in, whose cross found Ellison, but Jaimez-Ruiz was out quickly to block. Warrington was called into action for the first time on 63 minutes, tipping Adam Hinshelwood's looping header over the bar, before Scott Donnelly hit a free-kick twenty yards out which struck the outside of the post just moments later. With 70 minutes on the clock, Ellison struck a twenty-five yard shot wide, before the Millers were denied by some magnificent goalkeeping, as Nicholas' point blank header was acrobatically kept out by Jaimez-Ruiz. Despite much of the possession in the last 20 minutes, little else was created, and the visitors almost struck on the counter when substitute Marvin Morgan found space on the right hand side, but fortunately Tonge was on hand to block. Drewe Broughton was introduced for the final five minutes, but Rotherham were unable to break down Jason Dodd's men, the final chance falling to Warne, but his header was high and wide of the goal. The result makes it four games without a victory now, but the Millers' undefeated home record stretches to eight in the league this season. Millers: Warrington; Tonge, Fenton, Sharps, Nicholas, Mills, Warne, Harrison, Le Fondre, Pope (Broughton 84), Ellison. Subs: Annerson, Green, J. Taylor, R. Taylor, Brogan, Lynch. Aldershot: Jaimez-Ruiz, Herd, Straker, Hinshelwood, Charles, Soares, Chalmers, Grant (Morgan 78), Donnelly, Hudson, Sandell. Subs: Masters, Blackburn, Hylton, Hopkinson, German, Mekki. Report: Ben Shepherd

    Latest Match Reports