Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Oct 09 at 18:11 PM

Bury 2 v 1 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United slipped to defeat away at Bury after the home side came from behind to snatch a late winner through substitute Richie Baker. The Millers lead thanks to Kevin Ellison, who once again scored direct from a corner in first half injury time but second half goals from Ryan Lowe and Baker secured maximum points for Alan Knill's side. Rotherham were the better side in the first half and after a scrappy opening 10 minutes the Millers fashioned the first opening when Dale Tonge ran to the by-line and crossed for Ellison but from a difficult angle he scuffed his shot. On 19 minutes Nicky Law scurried to the edge of the area and the Shakers defence parted like the red sea but 'keeper Wayne Brown stayed alert to make a smart save low down. There was more lax defending to follow when Adam Le Fondre was found all alone six yards out by a great cross by Micky Cummins but his scuffed effort was smothered by Brown. The Millers piled on the pressure and were almost in front on 23 minutes. A devilish free-kick by Ellison to the near post found the head of Le Fondre but Brown again did brilliant to tip the ball onto the crossbar. That would be Brown's last act of the game when he went off injured to be replaced by Cameron Belford. Bury threatened briefly on 42 minutes when Lowe skewed a shot wide when well placed 20 yards from goal. After dominating the first half the Millers were rewarded with the opening goal in stoppage time. For the second time this season Ellison scored direct from a corner when he caught out the shaky Belford who was complaining he was fouled. Half time
Bury 0 v 1 Rotherham United After being the better team for the first 45 minutes the Millers were undone right at the start of the second half. Baker ran from deep before playing a neat pass in behind the Millers defence and Lowe finished coolly past Warrington to level the game. The home side now sensed Rotherham's vulnerability and Danny Racchi was next to try his luck but his 20 yarder was straight at Warrington. On 64 minutes it was Pablo Mills to the rescue when he made a great block to deny Mike Jones when the midfielder was well placed six yards out. A minute later Bury were given a controversial spot kick when Ian Sharps seemed to play the ball when challenging Lowe. Mr. Webb gave the penalty but justice was done when Stephen Dawson's drive was saved by Warrington, with Dawson missing the re-bound with the goal gaping. With seven minutes remaining the Millers were undone when a deflected clearance fell kindly for Baker who stabbed the ball beyond Warrington from 18 yards out. The Millers almost snatched a late leveller in the final minute of stoppage time when Belford made a remarkable save from the head of Sharps to deny the defender from six yards out. Full time
Bury 2 v 1 Rotherham United Bury: Brown (Belford 27), Newey, Cresswell, Sodje, Buchanan, Racchi, Barry-Murphy, Dawson, Jones, Lowe, Elliott (Baker 9). Subs not used: Scott, Futcher, Harrop, Dawson. Rotherham: Warrington, Tonge, Sharps, Mills, Nicholas, Law, Harrison, Cummins, Ellison, Pope (R.Taylor 74) Le Fondre. Subs not used: Annerson, Warne, Green, Lynch, Broughton, J.Taylor.

    Latest Match Reports