Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Sep 09 at 18:15 PM

Rotherham 3 v 0 Barnet - Report

Ronnie Moore was paraded in front of a packed Don Valley stadium today, and will have enjoyed what he saw, as Rotherham United beat promotion rivals Barnet by 3-0. Kevin Ellison, Nicky Law, and the in-form Adam Le Fondre were the goalscorers, but the Millers showed their dominance in every area of the team, with all 11 players looking to impress the new boss.

The Millers signalled their intentions right from the off, Tom Pope beating the offside trap in the first 30 seconds, but his cross was cut out by Kenny Gillett just as Le Fondre was lining up to shoot. Paul Furlong snatched at a cross at the other end immediately after but it was high and wide of Andy Warrington's goal.

The Millers made the breakthrough on three minutes, Ian Sharps ball over the top found Le Fondre, who beat the offside trap once again, and he squared for Ellison at the far post who put the ball into the roof of the net.

Rotherham continued to pepper the Barnet defence, with Pope and Le Fondre causing all sorts of problems for the Bees backline. However, if it wasn't for Warrington, the visitors could have been level, the ball dropped in the area to John O'Flynn, and his volley was saved low by Warrington, before Jamie Green cleared.

They were soon punished for not taking the chance by Law, who once again sprung the offside trap and chipped over the onrushing Jake Cole to double the home side's lead after he had been fed through by the impressive Ellison.

Ellison was again involved; chasing a ball down the left and cutting back but this time Cole was able to collect.

Half time
Rotherham 2 v 0 Barnet

The Millers began the second half as they did the first, and continued to pressurise. Le Fondre and Pope troubling the defence by closing them down all over the pitch, and were soon rewarded just before the hour. Nick Fenton won a header on halfway which dropped for Danny Harrison, and caught the backline unaware with a ball through to Le Fondre whose effort landed just inside the far post to make it 3-0.

Barnet created their first chance shortly after. Albert Adomah was given time to cross from the right, but O'Flynn's glancing header was wide when he could have done much better. Dale Tonge was withdrawn on 70 minutes with a head injury, the only glitch on an excellent day for the Millers.

Le Fondre found half a yard inside the area but his shot was blocked, and when it eventually dropped to Ellison on the left, his effort was high and wide.

Harrison and Ryan Taylor both went close from the edge of the area, but both men saw their efforts float just wide of the post.

The final chance fell to Fenton but his header from Law's corner was cleared off the line.

It was a display that will have certainly whet Ronnie Moore's appetite, as he takes charge of the team for the trip to Northampton on Tuesday night.

Full time
Rotherham 3 v 0 Barnet

Millers: Warrington, Tonge (Lynch 70), Sharps, Fenton, Green, Law, Mills, Harrison, Ellison, Pope (Taylor 65), Le Fondre (Warne 81).

Unused: Annerson, Joseph, Cummins, Liddell

Barnet: Cole, Devera, Gillett, Yakubu, Hughes, Deverdics (Hyde 71), Jarrett, Adomah (Bolasie 61), Leach, Furlong (Tabiri 84), O'Flynn.

Unused: Carpenter, Deen, O'Neal, Kamdjo

Report: Ben Shepherd

    Latest Match Reports