Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 18 Aug 09 at 23:57 PM

Grimsby 1 v 2 Rotherham United - Report

Rotherham United quickly put Saturday's defeat to Bournemouth behind them after a fully deserved 2-1 away win at Grimsby Town.

A handball by former Miller Robbie Stockdale gave Adam Le Fondre the opportunity to score his first Millers goal from the penalty spot, and he duly obliged side footing into the bottom corner. Following a Peter Sweeney equaliser the Millers grabbed the points when sub Micky Cummins headed in a Nicky Law free kick for his first goal of the season.

The Millers richly deserved their first away win of the season and commanded possession; especially in the first half when all that was lacking was the final pass. On five minutes good work by Jamie Green down the left resulted in a cross to the back post where Tom Pope's looping header landed on the roof of Tommy Forecast's net.

The home side, who have yet to register a point this season, struggled to get out of their own half as the Millers pressed forward. On 22 minutes Law crossed to the back post only to see his centre cleared away in the nick of time by Ryan Bennett.

A minute later Grimsby missed their best chance of the half when Nick Hegarty ghosted in at the back post only to side foot a right wing cross over Andy Warrington's crossbar.

Four minutes before the break Dale Tonge's cross found the on-rushing Danny Harrison who headed over under pressure from eight yards out.

Half time
Grimsby Town 0 v 0 Rotherham United

At half time Jamie Green was replaced by Marc Joseph after the full back picked up a knock in the first half.

On 51 minutes the Millers found the breakthrough. Following Stockdale's handball Le Fondre seized the opportunity to open his Millers account and following time wasting antics by Forecast he showed nerves of steel to tuck the ball into the bottom corner from the penalty spot.

The Millers were then forced into another change when Captain Ian Sharps was withdrawn to be replaced by Micky Cummins.

Rotherham held the advantage for 11 minutes. Sparked into life by going behind the home side surged forward and following a clearance to the edge of the area, Sweeney lashed the ball home to beat the despairing dive of Warrington.

Now it was Rotherham's turn to respond to conceding. On 67 minutes Joe Widdowson brought down Law tight to the right touchline. Law picked himself off the floor to deliver a pinpoint free-kick which found Cummins who headed the ball into the top corner and beyond the stranded Forecast.

From that moment on the result never looked in doubt. Rotherham almost added to their lead in injury time when on the break Law guided the ball past Forecast but was denied by the outside of the post.

Full time
Grimsby Town 1 v 2 Rotherham United

Grimsby: Forecast; Stockdale, Bennett, Atkinson, Widdowson, Clarke, Sweeney, Leary (Fuller 85), Hegarty, Conlon, North (Proudlock 79).

Subs not used: Overton, Heywood, Boshell, Linwood, Jones.

Rotherham: Warrington; Tonge, Fenton, Sharps (Cummins 54), Green (Joseph ht), Warne (Liddell 83), Mills, Harrison, Law, Pope, Le Fondre.

Subs not used: Annerson, R.Taylor, J.Taylor, Ellison.

    Latest Match Reports