Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 at 19:27 PM

Bournemouth 1 v 0 Rotherham - Report

Rotherham United fell to their first defeat of the season after a 1-0 loss at Dean Court.

The Millers made a bright start to the game and created the first chance on two minutes.A long ball forward by Andy Warrington found Paul Warne, whose low cross was prodded wide at the far post by Kevin Ellison.

On 18 minutes the home side created their first real chance of the game when a cross from Sammy Igoe presented a great opportunity for Mark Molesley, but he failed to connect properly with his head.

The Cherries continued to press and Brett Pitman missed another excellent chance three minutes later.A cross from the right by Liam Feeney was met unchallenged by the striker, but he misjudged and header and saw it sail wide of the post.

The home side continued to press forward but failed to create any more clear chances and it was the Millers who had the next effort at goal. After a free kick was headed clear by the Bournemouth defence, the ball fell to Nicky Law 25 yards from goal, but the midfielder's shot sailed wide.

Bournemouth made the breakthrough on the stroke of half time. Once again the Millers struggled to deal with a cross and this time Lee Bradbury's pinpoint cross was headed home by Ryan Garry.

Half time

Bournemouth 1 v 0 Rotherham

Bournemouth started the second half as they finished the first and had an opportunity to double their lead just four minutes after the restart. A corner from the right found an unmarked Jason Pearce at the far post, but his downward header bounced wide of Warrington's near post.

They came even closer two minutes later after a foul on the edge of the area by Ian Sharps. Pitman struck the free kick with real venom and, with Warrington beaten, it clipped the outside of the post and went wide.

On 54 minutes Mark Robins made a change and introduced Adam Le Fondre. The striker replaced Ellison and the Millers reverted to a 4-4-2 formation.

The introduction of Le Fondre sparked some life into the Millers and on 62 minutes they created the first chance of the second half. Law teed up Jamie Green, whose near post cross was headed goalwards by Tom Pope, but Shwan Jalal was equal to it in the Bournemouth goal.

Warne then came close for the Millers. Dale Tonge's cross into the area was superbly controlled by the veteran striker, who spun and shot in an instant, only to see his effort go agonisingly wide with the 'keeper beaten.

On 83 minutes the Millers had an opportunity to equalise, but Ryan Taylor missed his kick after great work down the left from Le Fondre.

Full time

Bournemouth 1 v 0 Rotherham

Bournemouth: Jalal; Bradbury, Cummings, Fletcher, Robinson, Feeney, Molesley, Garry (Guyett HT), Pearce c, Pitman (Partington 87), Igoe (McQuoid 90).

Subs not used: Cornell, Pryce, Webb.

Rotherham United: Warrington; Tonge, Sharps c, Green, Fenton, Warne, Ellison (Le Fondre 54), Law, Mills, Pope (R. Taylor 71), J. Taylor (Cummins 71).

Subs not used: Harrison, Joseph, Annerson, Liddell.

Attendance: 5,091.

    Latest Match Reports