Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Aug 09 at 17:33 PM

Rotherham 1 v 0 Accrington - Report

A late goal from sub Paul Warne ensured the Millers began the new season with a win after a 1-0 victory over Accrington Stanley. With the game drifting away to a goalless draw Warne popped up in the area after a goalmouth scramble to side foot past 'keeper Alan Martin and send the Millers fans delirious. The Millers just about deserved their victory but were given several scares by the visitors in the first half. After a positive start for the home side it was Stanley who almost snatched the lead with their first move of the game on eight minutes. A throw by Dean Winnard found Billy Kee in the area but his volley at the near post flashed just wide. On 10 minutes a free-kick by Jimmy Ryan was well saved by Andy Warrington and then on 17 minutes Paul Mullin scuffed a 20 yarder which Warrington claimed low down. The Millers best chance came on 21 minutes when a Nicky Law free-kick was stabbed just wide by Tom Pope who was lurking in the six yard box. Warrington was once again called into action on 33 minutes when a stunning left foot shot by Robert Grant was tipped wide by the Millers number one at full stretch. On the stroke of half time Pope made progress down the right, his centre found Ryan Taylor but when about to shoot he was crowded out. Half time Rotherham United 0 v 0 Accrington Stanley Mark Robins made changes at half time and brought Warne into the action replacing Ryan Taylor. The visitors should have taken the lead just three minutes into the half when Pablo Mills dallied on the ball in a dangerous position. Ryan was alert and pinched the ball away from Mills only for his shot to be brilliantly smothered by Warrington. On 52 minutes Rotherham came agonizingly close to opening the scoring when a Law corner found the head of Nick Fenton, but Luke Joyce was on hand to clear off the line with Martin beaten. Buoyed by the near miss the Millers took control of proceedings. Just before the hour mark a flick on by Kevin Ellison found the boot of Warne but Martin was alert to the situation and made the save. A minute later another Law corner this time found Ian Sharps whose firm header was palmed away by Martin. With 11 minutes remaining debutant Andy Liddell crossed from the right to find the unmarked Mills but his glancing header was wide of the far post. With time ticking away it seemed that Stanley had hung on for a point but the Millers had other ideas. Following another set-piece the ball found Sharps who rattled the underside of the bar. Stanley couldn't clear the loose ball which eventually found its way to Warne who showed great composure to slot the ball in from eight yards out. Full time Rotherham United 1 v 0 Accrington Stanley Rotherham: Warrington; Lynch, Sharps, Fenton, Green, Law, Mills, J.Taylor (Harrison 87), Ellison (Liddell 72), Pope, R.Taylor (Warne ht). Subs not used: Annerson, Joseph, Nicholas, Cummins. Accrington: Martin; Winnard, Edwards, Kempson, C.King (McConville 90), Miles, Ryan, Joyce, Grant, (Turner 84) P.Mullin, Kee (Symes 84). Subs not used: Dunbavin, Murphy, G.King, J.Mullin.  

    Latest Match Reports